Obese, unfit and 50k challenge in may 2020!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning. I'm 37, 5ft and 15 st, bmi puts me upper end of obese (scary). Friend of my asked if I would do the women v cancer ride the night 50k next year, I agreed thinking it would force me to get moving again. currently i'm using my teenage daughters bike (bmx, no gears), went out for the first time last night and managed a grand total of 1.28K before walking the bike back as we live on a very slight slope (the sort that when in a car you don't even know is a hill!) and I couldn't ride it back! When I got in my husband said yay you didn't die (just being silly and his way of supporting me lol), I just bust in to tears, I felt so deflated. this morning i'm determined to do this! We looked at bikes on line with gears thinking that may help (new to this and not ridden in over 20 years so no clue lol). Anyone have any advice / tips either on bike choice or training?

Ice2911

Über Member
Good morning. I'm 37, 5ft and 15 st, bmi puts me upper end of obese (scary). Friend of my asked if I would do the women v cancer ride the night 50k next year, I agreed thinking it would force me to get moving again. currently i'm using my teenage daughters bike (bmx, no gears), went out for the first time last night and managed a grand total of 1.28K before walking the bike back as we live on a very slight slope (the sort that when in a car you don't even know is a hill!) and I couldn't ride it back! When I got in my husband said yay you didn't die (just being silly and his way of supporting me lol), I just bust in to tears, I felt so deflated. this morning i'm determined to do this! We looked at bikes on line with gears thinking that may help (new to this and not ridden in over 20 years so no clue lol). Anyone have any advice / tips either on bike choice or training?
First of all well done for taking that first step. Small steps at the beginning but you will be amazed at how quickly you progress.
My wife did the ride 300 miles during September for Cancer research starting from a baseline of zero and not riding a bike for 15 years.
We had to start on a straight cycle path as she couldn’t steer very well and first rides were about a mile, similar to your first ride. We went in a car park and practised turning. We built up to 2 miles, then 4, then 5. 5 soon became 10.
Half way through she did by herself a new hybrid bike, so much easier than the very old heavy mountain bike she was using. She started enjoying the rides and we were soon doing 20 miles with a tea and cake stop in the middle. Her longest ride on cycle tracks is 32 miles or 50 km. she completed the 300 miles in September. She still comes out occasionally and really enjoys it.
So start slow , build up slowly, stick at it ( you have a target you are working towards), if you can ride with others it does help and most importantly enjoy the ride. Keep us posted about your progress, you can do it :smile:

Hi & welcome.

Did you know you've got a cycling festival on this week:
https://www.medway.gov.uk/events/event/146/medway_cycling_festival_2018
Free adult riding lessons, and easy going rides on Monday mornings:
https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200221/a_better_medway/445/cycling_and_cycling_groups_in_medway
(all this is apparently ... there is some contact information on the pages).

Bikewise, yes a bmx is going to be very hard work. Decathlon is generally good value and you've a store nearby.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-376962-hybrid-and-touring-bikes/N-374386-gender~women/T-387255_387252
You don't need too much for 50km, make sure it fits your size. You may even end up with a large kids bike?

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi and welcome to the world of cycling.

Well done on taking that first step. You have ridden further on a BMX than I ever have.
I echo the decathlon sentiments. Great bikes at good prices and will certainly get you going.

I recommend padded shorts from the start. Much more humane on the bum and getting a ladies specific saddle and not necessarily a wide padded one. Little and often wins the day.

I have a good friend who is a similar height and weight to you and she regularly kicks my butt over 100km. 2 years ago, she had never ridden a bike.

Everyone on this site will be cheering you on so keep posting.

You should guage your rides by time to start with. Start with 5 mins and increase gradually each day. The aim is to get used to being on the bike, to improve your bike handling skills and your roadcraft or road safety skills. You will also be conditioning your behind to sit on the saddle.
A bike for a 5' rider should be small enough to fit. A good quality, non suspension girl's bike from a company such as Islabikes is worthwhile. I have acquired good children's bikes by GT, Giant, Dawes from car boot sales.
Once you have a bike, fit some good quality puncture resistant tyres.
You dont need much equipment but some people insist on helmets. I would add cycling gloves (mitts) for hand protection. A useful bike needs mudguards, a rear luggage rack and/or front basket, lights and a small repair kit that you can use.
Just keep adding saddle time. Use your bike for utility rides, shopping, errands etc.

ChrisPAmbulance

Last September, I was 55, 6' 1" and weighed 19st 2lbs. I regularly rode the 50m Great Notts Bike Ride. I was shattered by the end of it, but I have been doing it for 5 years now and have always finished, albeit at a pootling 11.5 mph

You have the best part of a year to get ready and more importantly, get used to cycling a distance. Don't worry that you can't do huge mileages straight away, I look back at some of the rides I did a few years ago and can't believe how I ever struggled. Start small and gradually increase the distance and difficulty (hills etc). You will soon be past the 5 mile mark, then 10, then 20 and so on. Try to make sure you can comfortably cycle half the distance regularly and easily and try to have done at least one ride of the full distance before the day.

Incidentally. I am now nearly 4st lighter, sailing up hills that used to defeat me hardly noticing them and getting ready for another Notts Ride in a week and a half, hoping to destroy my previous personal best.

If I, the laziest slob in the world can do this, then you have no excuse - go out and do it - it'll change your world.

Just another word on selecting a bike
Hybrid style bikes are popular but typically use large wheel size ( called 700c). This is too big for a short person's bike.
The wheel size that you should look for is 26" mtb size. It doesn't have to an mtb style of bike, just the smaller wheel size.
Other small wheel sizes exist but this is the most common and most useful for you.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Please can I express how much I admire you for getting out there & giving it a go and my best wishes for successful cycling ! :notworthy::okay::bicycle:

My top tip would be to go & sit on a few bikes in shops (local independent in preference to Decathlon, Decathlon in preference to Halfords) to get advice on sizing before looking for something with gears which is more suitable for a bit of distance. Try to get the lightest bike you can afford.

Is there a nearby park you can ride around to get used to the bike ? Would your daughter go with you ?

Anyway, best of luck ! Let us know how you get on

Sharky

Guru
The cyclo park is near you and they do sessions for all levels and also do bike hire
https://www.cyclopark.com/ride/bike-hire/

Give them a ring and they will advise which sessions are best to start with. The course is 2+ miles and traffic free.
A good way to try a few different bikes as well.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Joeycreature well done for taking the challenge

As others have already said , just keep at it on what ever bike you have as the more you try the easier it will get no matter what bike you use .

I would like to think there might be a local to you cc ' er who might offer to help you

Have a look at Decathlon if close by , if not pop into your local bike shop and have a chat with them and see what they say

Loads of second hand bargains to be had if you feel comfortable buying 2nd hand

Keep us posted please

carpenter

Über Member
As others have said, well done for making a start.
The first couple of times out will be a struggle - perhaps you could persuade your husband to join you, I know it makes me more likely to cover the miles when I am with my wife. Mutual encouragement and shared interest:smile:
Saying that has made me think of a tandem perhaps?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Welcome aboard and welcome to the world of cycling.

My advice on training? Don't. Go for bike rides instead. ;) Much more relaxing. You're in Chatham so there is some really nice mostly flat cycling on the Thames estuary near to you: Upchurch, Lower Halstow and so on.. Do a bit of exploring. There are also some significant hills inland where the Downs rise up. Just avoid those until you are feeling a bit more confident.

It may be quite tough to begin with and you may struggle with quite short rides. But once you get over that hump there will be no stopping you!

To me the idea of a bike without gears is like a bike without wheels. Just does not compute. Lots of loverly low gears is what you need!

@Sharky s suggestion of the Cyclopark is a good one. I've only been there once but it was a nice place with a closed track and lots of different sessions.

And congratulations on measuring your ride in km. It's the right way: You get more of them! ;)

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Again, well done for starting out. You have taken the biggest step, now time to fit yourself out with the the right bike, which will work with you and help you achieve your goal. Plenty of good advise has already been posted here regarding choosing the bike. Don't be afraid to ask questions either here or at your bike shop. Stick with it, it will be a journey, with good days and bad days but you will be amazed how your fitness and ability improves with some steps. Don't be too ambitious at the start but continue to push your self a little bit further than you think you can achieve.

Good luck and keep us posted.

icowden

Veteran
Another good way of motivating yourself (worked for me anyway) is to try to commute to work by bike (if it's workable).
Even if it's a mix of bike then train or driving a bit further away from work and cycling the last bit and gradually increasing.

Just that daily mile, then two then 4 etc. It will soon get your legs in order.

tom73

Guru
Like everyone else said well done and good on you. Don't get too down we all have to start at some point and you've gone more than many every do already. As for bikes take your time and see what's about don't get too hung up on what everything is and what's better. Just see what you like and if it fit's you. Take as much advice you want, ask questions , do a bit of research. Make a list if it help's and it's a friendly bunch on here so help is alway's on offer.

Above all remember you can't eat an elephant in one go but you can in little bit's slowly and steady is the way.
Once you do get going people will tell you it get's easier well it true slowly the mile will add up. So just keep going work on your fitness when you can even if it's a little walk round the block a few times a week it will all help.

Top Bottom