Obese, unfit and 50k challenge in may 2020!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great post. One thing I'll add is that the body builds and loses muscle amazingly fast according to how you stress it so persevere and it won't be long before you are riding further and faster and burning even more calories each ride.

sreyes86

I've returned to cycling recently to lose lots of weight. I was at 342 4 weeks ago. I've lost 28 lbs in 4 weeks. I started riding 3 miles (5K) 4 or 5 times a week. I can now ride up to 10-12 miles (15k) 4 or 5 times a week. I'm starting to feel great and riding is so much more fun than walking, and easier on my knees and ankles. Use the higher PSI on your tires and get those padded bike shorts and use cream!

SnoopyCycles

Regular
Joeycreature, did you get a bike in the end? I’ve just read all the thread not realising it was from June! I hope you got something lovely.

snorri

Legendary Member
You should guage your rides by time to start with. Start with 5 mins and increase gradually each day. The aim is to get used to being on the bike, to improve your bike handling skills and your roadcraft or road safety skills. You will also be conditioning your behind to sit on the saddle.
I'm convinced this is the top tip for any adult new to cycling or anyone returning after a lengthy break.
Be patient and build up gradually, but remember two short trips in one day are permitted!^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
remember two short trips in one day are permitted!^_^

I'm now going out for my morning ride, but it won't be for more than 1 1/2 hours as it's going to get very hot later and the sun will be punishing. If I'm in the mood later on, I'll go out for another ride this evening, just before sunset when it starts to cool down again. That way, you get more exercise overall without overdoing one long ride and getting dehydrated or sunburnt.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm now going out for my morning ride, but it won't be for more than 1 1/2 hours as it's going to get very hot later and the sun will be punishing. If I'm in the mood later on, I'll go out for another ride this evening, just before sunset when it starts to cool down again. That way, you get more exercise overall without overdoing one long ride and getting dehydrated or sunburnt.
I went out at 7:40 it was very nice, just got back now & it's very noticable how the temperature has gone up in the last 30 minutes

Top Bottom