Obesity is offensive apparently..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Debian

Debian

ColinJ said:
We have to face the facts though, that we are only fat if we eat (or drink) too much. Don't blame metabolism for it. We may have skinny friends who are lucky enough to be able to eat what they want - good luck to 'em - but we have to eat or drink only what is good for us.

I don't really agree that eating well is expensive. Well, I suppose that it depends on what you mean by expensive? I spend about £16/week on fruit and veg and about £12 on everything else so that's £4/day. I eat a very healthy diet.

+1

If someone eats too much they get fat, if they don't they lose weight. Or if someone exercises more they will lose weight. It's a simple equation - eat 3000 calories and use 2990 = get fat, eat 3000 calories and use 3010 = lose weight. This is true even for the very, very tiny minority of people who do genuinely have a medical problem that contributes to their being overweight.

I've never been the slimmest person and since I stopped smoking some years ago I gained even more. I also like eating, I enjoy it so I too know it can be difficult to moderate the intake but I do it because I know I have to.

I too generally eat a healthy diet but do have the occasional lapse like last night, home made chicken curry (made with ghee!) & rice followed by Tesco raspberry trifle with cream! But generally I eat a diet rich in fruit & veg - I bitch when there's no fruit in the house and cabbage soup & home made bread is one of my favourite meals. £4 per person per day is a realistic amount to spend for a decent diet although I probably spend more than that on myself.

Mark_Robson

@ Twenty inch.... point understood. :wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Twenty Inch said:
I don't think that you can regard fat kids as "self-inflicted". They don't know better, they eat what is put in front of them, and live the lifestyles their parents choose.

Yes of course. I was thinking in wider terms. Of course a child can't be blamed for having poor quality parents.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having watched last nights Panorama program I don't know what we need - more health visitors? Who gives their kid 5 or 6 lollies a day ... first one just after getting up! Or how can you get to the point that a 2 year old needs their teeth extracted!!! And allowing your child to practically drink the tomato ketchup!!! I guess some of this is a result of not having NHS dentists available too to spot the problem early enough to do something about it.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
It's similar to the the word spastic being repaced with dissabled. Their needs to be a word for such a condition so why change it for another?

Crankarm

Guru
Presumably the obese are happy being obese otherwise they wouldn't eat the huge volumes of sugar and fat laden food they do and thus not get fat? It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom