Obsolete Tyre Sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've just acquired a Delta Trike "by accident" like you do. Quite old, but in generally good condition. It's a Sinner Comfort which as far as I can tell is one of the early versions dating from somewhere between 1993 and whenever they introduced the straight framed model. It has a distinctive cranked frame design which slopes upwards from the seat to just behind the chainwheel fitting then down towards the steering head. It seems designed for a shorter person (eg, me!) It is very compact for a delta, probably about the same length as my Dawes Lowrider with a seat as low or slightly lower. The track is about 29" which is doorway friendly, and hopefully cycleway barrier friendly too.

The tyre sizes are rather limiting, being 37-438 on the back (can still get Schwalbe HS110 with reflectve sidewalls and some puncture protection), but will probably have to re rim with 406 eventually. The front is a puzzle as it is 37-340. The tyre looks like a Schwalbe HS110 but replacements (if needed) look a bit scarce. There is no brake on the front, but the rear has a dual pivot caliper to each wheel with its own lever.

As it happens, I have a spare 37-440 front wheel with a drum brake. It's a tempting project to get it re rimmed with something more up to date, and fit it to the trike. The trike has an aluminium frame with a steel fork, which has a welded socket for the torque arm. Twin cable levers are available, so in theory I could operate the rear brakes from a single left hand lever and operate the front from the right hand lever, if getting a twin pull set up balanced is not too much of a task. I have no experience of 16" wheels, so need some suggestions re modern rim sizes with a view to a good choice of tyres. It's possible that something bigger will fit as there is a lot of room in the fork.
I will post some pics once I get it set up.

The 37-340 is the French 400A tyre size. Looking for a 400A tyre may pull up a couple more options.
The next size up is a 349 rim. As Brompton's use that size there may be a few more tyre options.
But the number of tyres for any small rim size is few and far between unless you get to 406 rims.

Luck ............... ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
I've still got the tyres that came with the Brox nearly 15 years ago. No cracking or signs of anything about to give on them.
I replaced them with more of a road tyre for all four wheels.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you keep them in a sealed bag, in a cool dark place, they last longer. Otherwise, they dry out and/or UV accelerates cracking. The worst common hazard for rubber is supposed to be brushed electric motors (an ozone source), so don't hang them up in a workshop where you regularly use power tools.

Top Bottom