Och FFS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Biked it this morning. No faffing, straight out the door. Had cycled yesterday too and got caught in hailstorm but well up for it this morning and for some reason I always feel better on the second da. Caught and passed a boy on Ferry Toll Road. Up onto bridge, nice queues of traffic to go past. Beautiful morning, a big warm orange sun rising behind the rail bridge, cracking. Other end of the bridge I’d got a bit warm so thought I’d stop at Shell to take my jacket off. Really enjoying it today. Jacket off, strapped to crossbar in double quick time. Off I set again…

Wait a minute…

Something thudding as soon as I move. Punctured back tyre. Och! Not to worry, usually takes me 10 – 15 mins to change tube or stick a patch on, will still be in work before 8. Remove light and computer from handlebars, flip over, unzip saddlebag – empty. I had removed everything at the weekend when I was fitting my new wheels and hadn’t put it back. Aargh! So what to do? Wait for another cyclist? Try the garage for a repair kit? Head to folks? Decided to hobble round to folks (in cleats). 15 seconds after going down the path I see about 4 cyclists go past, just out of sight and earshot of me. Oh well. Head across the playpark at the motel. Another zips down the path as I hobble through the dogshit. Get to parents and ring the bell. No answer. Try again, and again and again. 5 minutes elapse. I decide to phone them. My Dad answers straight away as if he’s been up for hours. “Dad I’m at the front door”. “oh right”. I ask if he has any patches or tubes – “nup”. So my Mum comes down the stairs and gives me her car. Thank God for Maws eh? Got to work too late to get a parking space so had to park in Gyle Mains and hobble over to work still in my cleats and get a shower there.

I’m off to give blood at 10am half-expecting to rupture a vein.

Tynan

Veteran
good boy, always cheers me up when it happens to someone else, in a nice way natch

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Not the best start to the day, really !

My Och FFS moment was on the shared path along Bankhead up to Edinburgh Park Station this morning; they're digging it up for pipe-laying, but they've thoughtfully dug a new path out across the grass and around the pipeworks and tarmaced it. Or so I thought, in the pre-sunrise darkness.

Those clever people have made a temporary shared cyclepath out of stone chippings on damp earth, which nearly had me off as I wasn't expecting to be sliding around through what felt like lumpy sand beneath my wheels.

Give it a rainy day and it'll be a stoney mudbath, so I guess I'll cut off onto the road instead from now on...

Top Bottom