Octopus buys Shell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
No doubt means Shell Broadband stays as 'Shell Broadband'. No name change for now. Maybe in transition it will become Shell Octopus Broadband.

Ajax Bay

Guru
BB is staying with Shell their site says. Hows the service been BTW? They've been sending me offers for a while but because I WFH I've been wary of moving away from BT who have always been good for me.

In time for a MoneySavingsExpert 'deal' (on 28 Nov) I switched to Shell BB from NowTV (latter out of contract and suddenly monthly went from £21 to £36!)
£24 for a 12 month 67Mb fibre jobbie, could have got ?<£21 if 11Mb download was sufficient.
Then I went to cancel (circumstances had changed) - within the 14 day cooling period and well before they'd sent out the modem.
Got through to the special cancellation number, said 'cancel' and the lovely lady probed and explored and then said 'Tell you what, if I credit your account with £100 would that make a difference?' - effectively 4 months 'free' so reduces monthly to effective £16. Mmmm. No, I still think I shall cancel. "How about £125? That's the best I can do."
I decided not to cancel. There's also a £100 Amazon voucher promised at Easter.
If you have Shell energy now, worth considering switching to a variable rate (no exit fee) with another provider and then, with a £50/£50 code from an Octopus customer (DM me), switch to Octopus once the whole Shell > Octopus thing is done.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I've got the same email but it's actually on their website FAQs that I got my info from:

11. What does this mean for broadband customers?

If you’re a Shell Energy Broadband customer, nothing changes for now. You’ll stay a Shell Energy customer, your service won’t be interrupted, and we’re still here to support you.

Guess it doesn't matter to me though as I never switched BB to Shell.

That link says "....Octopus Energy’s purchase of Shell Energy’s home energy and broadband business."

figbat

Slippery scientist
Been taking headline writing tips from the red-tops?! I clicked on it with disbelief that a small energy supply company could buy an international oil, gas and energy supermajor but as with all click-bait, the truth was in the details. ^_^

13 rider

Guru
When I moved house 2 months ago octopus would not take me on as a new customer as I was not duel fuel (I have no main gas) so went with shell and 2 months later I'm with octopus 😂

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
2560px-Octopus_shell.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
[The Octopus boss is] an interesting fellow
Here's an interview from last year. As Octopus were looking, for the wider good, to pick up the shattered Bulb.
Shell's sale of its energy (and BB) is not forced: it's a commercial decision by Shell. Shell bought 'First Utility' in 2019 - the strategic rationale was the economic potential of vertical integration (from 'upstream' to downstream all the way to the domestic consumer, in the same way that 'downstream' is Shell fuel stations selling to private motorists).
Change of strategy, assume partly driven by a new CEO: Wael Sawan - in post since Jan 2023.

Top Bottom