odd knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
right knee has a funny issue
For the first couple of miles my knee hurts in the middle, i cant put a lot of pressure onto it for maybe 2-3 miles then it settles and doesnt hurt at all .
The knee doesnt hurt at all doing anything else and after the initial pain it goes away and doesnt hurt .Im a bit stumped .

Ralphbostie

Hi, i had the same problem recently, i raised the saddle a little and it seems to have worked? Try adjusting the saddle.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Nope,other one.
Had a rest over the weekend and seems better ATM

Perhaps the knee that is now painful has been doing extra work and " carrying " the other.
I'm currently seeing my physio for a painful knee with similar symptoms ( but with me it's when I run ). He has me doing exercises to strengthen my quads , along with icing.

Sharky

Guru
Could be your mind, playing tricks with you.
When I was recovering from a broken ancle, I couldn't initially put any weight on my leg. I got severe pain from the first few steps, then it disappeared!

My theory is that the brain says you shouldn't be doing this and send you a pain message, but when you ignore the pain, the brain stops sending the message and lets you carry on.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Could be your mind, playing tricks with you.
When I was recovering from a broken ancle, I couldn't initially put any weight on my leg. I got severe pain from the first few steps, then it disappeared!

My theory is that the brain says you shouldn't be doing this and send you a pain message, but when you ignore the pain, the brain stops sending the message and lets you carry on.

I found similar when undertaking long distance events. I'd become aware of a knee niggle for example, and found that if I focussed on it it would tend to become more troublesome, whereas if I put it out of my mind it would eventually disappear. Of course this wouldn't apply to a genuine injury making itself known ( though endorphins tend to minimise this )

Darryn007

Über Member
I had a similar knee issue a while back, where it would hurt for the first part of my runs, then the pain would disappear. My doctor mentioned it might be due to my muscles and joints needing time to warm up properly before getting into the thick of exercise. He recommended doing a thorough warm-up routine and also mentioned trying kinesiology tape to support the knee.

I found a really helpful guide at https://www.gulfphysio.com/kinesiology-tape-a-comprehensive-guide/, which explained how the tape works to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and support the muscles and joints during activities. The guide made it easy to understand how to apply the tape for the best support and relief. This, along with a proper warm-up, really made a difference for me, and it might help you too with your knee pain during those first few miles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom