Odd noise from back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjb

Gave my SCR2 a spring clean a couple of days ago and fitted new cassette / chain. Re-assesmbled and took it out yesterday for a spin and have a curious noise from the back wheel.

The noise is a "ticking" which sounds twice, in close succession, on every revolution of the wheel - so: tick - tick - silence - silence - silence - silence - tick - tick etc etc

The really curious thing is that you can't hear it at all when off the bike and simply spinning the wheel - (several motorists muct have thought i was mad crouching at the side of the road with my ear next to the wheel, spinning it round by hand) seems to need my not-inconsiderable weight on the bike to make the noise.

The brake blocks don't catch, the mudguard doesn't catch. Definately not the transmission as the noise carries on even when not pedalling

I wondered if it could be a spoke "creaking" - none of them seem lose though.

Any thoughts? Perhaps something in the hub?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be the spokes - an old set of wheels on one of my bikes did that - you could try tightening them very slightly - or at least tighten and losen - always a chance of corrosion of some sort causing it.

Tynan

Veteran
the very vague description of the interval doesn't sound like per wheel rotation noise

and it happened straight after a casette/chain change implies it's a link or something relating to the cassette

betty swollocks

large member
Does it happen when you're on the bike but out of the saddle?
If it does, check chainring bolts, tightness of pedals on cranks, and tightness of cranks on bb axle.
If it doesn't, could be something caused by your pedalling action when sitting only..... maybe (and I've had this a couple of times) small particles of grit getting in between seatpost and seat tube. Took seatpost out, cleaned seat tube: noise gone! Check the other bits above in this instance too.
Hope this helps.

softpeadals

Check that the spacers in the cassette are tight up against the cogs and also that the lock ring is tight enough.Could also be the link pin in the chain standing proud of the plates.
If it does it when you freewheel it could be the valve stem isn't seated properly though why this should happen immediately after a cassette change is a mystery.
Having just re read your post properly and noting that the noise continues when freewheeling, it sounds like the spokes might need de stressing.
An easy way to do this is to gently squeeze together adjacent spokes. Continue round the wheel till all the spokes have been dealt with.
Alternatively a dab of oil where the spokes cross could get rid of the tick.

llllllll

It's just possible that your rear derailler needs a slight tweak. When I changed my cassette, the indexing was fine, but there as a slight clicking where it wasn't sitting quite right when in gear. A quarter turn on the cable adjuster solved it.

betty swollocks

large member
Yeah sorry, Didn't read post properly:blush:
Loose spokes rubbing against each other is my theory.
Good luck with locating and fixing, whatever it is.

Stwutter

I've been cursed with wheel 'clicks' ever since I started cycling. There's a couple of things worth checking & doing. It's unlikely, but check that the front derailleur cable end isn't catching your shoe as you pedal - sounds daft, but it happens.

If you've tried everything else stated above, it's well worth dropping a little lube into the points where the spokes enter the hubs. I had a ticking noise for weeks, and tried that as a last resort, let it settle overnight, and have not had a peep since.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Try a tiny smear of oil at the point each spoke crosses another.

OP
OP
sjb

sjb

Thanks all for your suggestions and ideas.

I can confirm that the noise definately has nothing to do with pedalling, it only happens when I'm on the bike but does not alter whether I'm pedalling or freewheeling, or if I'm sitting down or standing. It is also definately regular and matches exactly the wheel rotation (sorry Tynan for my crap description of the sound:blush:).

I tightened a couple of loose-ish spokes last night and have given them all a tweak to release any tension. I'll try the oil on the cross-over points and on the hubs tonight.

Softpeadals - I'm intrigued by the idea it could be the valve head - strangely enough I fitted a new inner tube in the back wheel at the same time as the general spring clean and the new valve has a thread all the way down rather than the usual smooth finish where it passes through the valve hole in the rim.....I'll maybe try the locking ring that came with it if I can find it again.....

OP
OP
sjb

sjb

Success:biggrin:

Thanks to all for making suggestions - combination of tightening a couple of loose-ish spokes and a drop of oil on the spoke cross-over points appears to have done the trick - let's hope it stays like that for the sportive on Sunday;)

Top Bottom