Rattling noise coming from back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonk

I have a Trek Verve 1 and have noticed the last few rides a slight "rattling noise" coming from the vicinity of the back wheel. Admittedly I haven't had time to investigate it further yet although on a brief inspection when I got off last I had a look but couldn't replicate it when not on the bike.

"Rattling" is probably the closest description although perhaps not entirely accurate. It seems to happen most when I am accelerating and then calms down once I am cycling at a steady pace. It does seem to have started since I came off the bike (to the left side) and it hit the ground but this was at very slow speed and wasn't that hard an impact at all really.

Any ideas what it could be?

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Great that you're so honest: "I haven't had time to investigate". Not so great that you "haven't had time to investigate". Great that you share that "rattling is maybe not an accurate description". How did you try to replicate it? Glad that your 'off' was so gentle. Was it you or your bike which "hit the ground"? How old is Verve?
Since you put the bike down on its left side, the rattling won't be from the drivetrain. However that it happens when you are, with the motor (assumed), "accelerating" suggests it IS drivetrain related. Edit: Most likely from the rack or mudguards. Check seatstay bridge fastening. Try putting a strong bungee cord round the front of the rack and round the top of the seat tube. And ride, to check.
1708372257900.png

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Checked the wheel / thru axle properly fitted/tight?
when did you last check the bike over thoroughly?

Reactions: C R

Jotheboat

I had similar, a rear rattle, when putting extraordinary power through the pedals (not!).
It was only when I was in the higher gears, 7 - 12 perhaps.
Turns out the cassette wasn't tightened up.
Not sure if that makes sense, but when stationary I could feel the offending cogs a little loose when I waggled them by hand.
Guy in the cycle shop sorted it in 2 minutes.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Are the gears changing smoothly? you can get some chatter if the chain is not moving up and down the cassette smoothly.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Jonk

Jonk

:welcome: Great that you're so honest: "I haven't had time to investigate".

Just for the record, that picture is not my bike. That is the Verve+ (electric). Mine is just the Verve (not electric).

What I really meant by that is that I haven't been able to work out where the noise is coming from exactly or what is causing it. Of course I had investigated before posting here. So I really meant I hadn't managed to investigate and find any possible causes.

I've looked again and still can't really work out what it is although I feel it is chain related. Nothing seems loose. I am not at all technical when it comes to bikes. However, with the bike stationary and moving the pedals I can't replicate it. The noise I can only describe as somewhere between a rattle and a click noise.

I think I'll just take it to a bike shop when I have time.

Checked the wheel / thru axle properly fitted/tight?
when did you last check the bike over thoroughly?
Everything seems properly fitted and tight.

I had similar, a rear rattle, when putting extraordinary power through the pedals (not!).
It was only when I was in the higher gears, 7 - 12 perhaps.
Turns out the cassette wasn't tightened up.
Not sure if that makes sense, but when stationary I could feel the offending cogs a little loose when I waggled them by hand.
Guy in the cycle shop sorted it in 2 minutes.
Mine doesn't seem to matter what gear I am in. The cassette seems tight.

Are the gears changing smoothly? you can get some chatter if the chain is not moving up and down the cassette smoothly.
The gear changes are smooth.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I will just take it to a shop when I have time. I had hoped it would be something simple that I could resolve but I can't work out what it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom