Weird noise when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayb95

I've noticed a weird noise on my last ride when pedalling.

Short background story: My bike was on a plane (I only had to take off both wheels), and when I landed I took it to the mechanic because the brakes needed adjusting (liquid leak + pistons fix). I think I also noticed that sound prior to taking it to mechanic. Any idea on what it could be? I don't hear any sound when pedalling on low gear. I am not sure if the noise is still present when I stop pedalling (my wheels are too loud)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't say what bike you have . If it's got a derailleur that would be a good place to start as most likely to get damaged with wheels off in a cargo hold.

Whare is the noise coming from do you think?

silva

Über Member
I hear a scraping noise everytime when starting to push a pedal so two per crank rotation.
So a max force causes it, so something moves position at that force.
It could be aswell coming from the front-steering, since when pushing a pedal one pulls there.
Maybe pull push the handlebars with the bike parked to check.
Even the saddle is possible, since its load also fluctuates when pedaling.
It could come from both springs from a saddle with such springs.
Based on the sound, my guess would be that last.

OP
OP
J

jayb95

It is a road bike (New Scott Foil) with Ultegra Di2. I've tried lifting the bike and pedalling using my hands, and the noise is there. So it's not the seat issue. Also I was wrong when pedalling on low gear - it still makes the noise.
The noise is only there when pedalling, not when rolling.

figbat at post #3 above is right.

Annoying as it is, it does not sound remotely expensive or serious. However for a very expensive brand new bike there is only one sensible option if you are not confident to diagnose or fix.....take it back to the shop for a free fix under warranty

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The frequency appears to match the cadence, so there are only a limited number of things it can be:

Pedals.
Bottom bracket.
Chain rubbing on front derailleur.

that's what it sounded like to me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As it is only when pedaling, that rules out the wheels as such.
Have you checked the front mech to see if there is any chain rub on the cage, the mech might of been knocked whilst in transit.
Are the gears changing crisply front and rear?
Does the noise happen in all gear combinations.
With odd noises it can be hard to pin it down. It can be a process of trial and error, checking one thing and moving on to another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jayb95

So I was wrong, the noise is actually coming from the rear wheel when pedalling. I think its also there if I just spin the wheel but I can't really tell 100% due to loud hub. How ever, if I spin the wheel the opposite direction, I can definitely hear the noise. Could it be that the stick you pull out when removing the wheel is missing the grease?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Is the skewer done up tight?
In situations such as this my ‘go to’ is to take it apart, clean and lube, then re-assemble. I don’t know how capable you are of doing that.

OP
OP
J

jayb95

It is tight. I cleaned it and applied the new lube how ever the noise is still there. Here is new video (I'm twisting the wheel backwards). The noise is still there if I twist the wheel forward, but its a bit harder to hear due to loud hub). So it's not chain rubbing on derailleur. What else could it be?

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/73WWycVYTDk

Top Bottom