Front disc brake noise when braking hard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I have the following brakes fitted to my 2022 Giant Fastroad Advanced 1...
Tektro HD-R210 hydraulic, Giant MPH rotors [F]140mm, [R]140mm.
They seem to work just fine, although a little squishy in the wet.
However, I have noticed that when I brake hard, perhaps at the bottom of a hill approaching a junction etc. that the front brake (it may also be the rear but I mainly use the front) makes a strange clicking or ticking type noise. It's definitely the front brake as it only happens when I use it and it's kind of obvious.
I do also use the rear brake but only to supplement the front, rather than as the main brake, if that makes sense?
I don't notice any noise from the rear brake at all.
Is this noise normal with these brakes, and something I just have to accept, or is there something amiss that can hopefully be rectified?
Thanks

Jody

Stubborn git
Does it tick an even amount of times per revolution and only when braking hard?

If I had to have a guess, i'd say the disc has some wear on it (or the pads have worn with a lip) and each tick will be when the pad touches the arm, especially if the noise is only when braking hard.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Does it tick an even amount of times per revolution and only when braking hard?
Not counted but I'd say yes and yes.
If I had to have a guess, i'd say the disc has some wear on it (or the pads have worn with a lip) and each tick will be when the pad touches the arm, especially if the noise is only when braking hard.
The bike was brand new late 2022 and has hardly been run in yet. I do little mileage and didn't ride it for a while immediately after buying it due to illness. So it's unlikely to be wear I'd think?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Is it possible that in removing and re-fitting the front wheel (for transport) I could have done something to the disc pads or positioned the disc wrong somehow?
I don't think I have, and I've always used the plastic pad securing thingy whenever I remove the front wheel, and it does work and doesn't make a noise during normal, more gentle braking.
Then again, you never know I suppose.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it possible that in removing and re-fitting the front wheel (for transport) I could have done something to the disc pads or positioned the disc wrong somehow?
I don't think I have, and I've always used the plastic pad securing thingy whenever I remove the front wheel, and it does work and doesn't make a noise during normal, more gentle braking.

Entirely possible, have you turned the bike upside down and checked the wheels spin freely? And what happens when you apply the brakes to stop the wheels spinning?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Entirely possible, have you turned the bike upside down and checked the wheels spin freely? And what happens when you apply the brakes to stop the wheels spinning?

Hi,
Yes, the wheels spin freely, and stop dead when I apply the brake.
There is no noise when applying the front brake in moderation or gently, only when braking hard.

Jody

Stubborn git
Check to see if there is any overlap where the pad goes slightly further inward or further out than the disc has braking surface.

Either that or loose bolts on the disc or issue with the hub.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,
Yes, the wheels spin freely, and stop dead when I apply the brake.
There is no noise when applying the front brake in moderation or gently, only when braking hard.

Apply the brake hard while testing? See if you can replicate and what the brakes etc do at that point?

I think I’d go mad if I worried about every little noise the bike makes as long as performance is ok! Mechanical parts aren’t generally silent whatever

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Check to see if there is any overlap where the pad goes slightly further inward or further out than the disc has braking surface.

Either that or loose bolts on the disc or issue with the hub.

Thanks, I'll check.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Apply the brake hard while testing? See if you can replicate and what the brakes etc do at that point?

I think I’d go mad if I worried about every little noise the bike makes as long as performance is ok! Mechanical parts aren’t generally silent whatever

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, bit isn't it impossible to replicate hard braking under stress and speed just by turning the bike upside down. After all there is no road resistance so the wheel just stops dead?

I think you are right about unduly stressing over every noise though. I just want to check what noises are normal/acceptable and what are not, I'm still pretty new to cycling.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

It is possible that the rotor has taken a small ding while off the bike, causing a very tiny ridge, only perceptible when braking hard.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, I honestly wouldn't know where that adjustment, how to check it or how to do it.
I tend to avoid messing with hydraulic brakes.....or anything I don't fully understand.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It’s still doing it, going to remove the front wheel and have a closer look this weekend.

Top Bottom