Is it Disc Brake capable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frank_1978

Hello. :smile:
I am new to cycling, I knew nothing about bicycles when a few years ago when I bought me this cheap 29" bicycle (I do not know what type) for exercising, then let it sit still for 2 years or more, some parts got rusted due to the lack of maintenance, of course, and now I decided to rescue this bike because I need it to go to work, I have an extreme tight budget, so I will mainly use cheap Chinese parts.
These are some of the measurements I could get:
Top Tube: 590mm
Seat Tube: 410mm
Down Tube: 750mm
Head Tube: 140mm
Fork: 490mm
Seat Stays: 450mm
Chain Stays: 455mm
Front Centre: 610mm
Wheelbase: 1006mm
Now, the part I have not figured out yet is the disc brakes capabilities of this frame, as you can see in the picture, 25mm seems a little bit too small, or maybe that's not where one mounts the calipers... Is it possible to install disc brakes in this frame? (I know I have to change the wheel hubs) Also, please note the seat stays shape, it looks problematic, but, I am no expert, that's why I ask you all. Thank you.

Attachments

• Disc Brake Mounts.jpg
    Disc Brake Mounts.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Front fork.jpg
    Front fork.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Seat Stays.jpg
    Seat Stays.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
  • The Bicycle.jpg
    The Bicycle.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 73

AndyRM

XOXO
Yep, you'll be fine. But if you're on a tight budget there's nothing wrong with the V brakes currently on there.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Hello. :smile:
I am new to cycling, I knew nothing about bicycles when a few years ago when I bought me this cheap 29" bicycle (I do not know what type) for exercising, then let it sit still for 2 years or more, some parts got rusted due to the lack of maintenance, of course, and now I decided to rescue this bike because I need it to go to work, I have an extreme tight budget, so I will mainly use cheap Chinese parts.
These are some of the measurements I could get:
Top Tube: 590mm
Seat Tube: 410mm
Down Tube: 750mm
Head Tube: 140mm
Fork: 490mm
Seat Stays: 450mm
Chain Stays: 455mm
Front Centre: 610mm
Wheelbase: 1006mm
Now, the part I have not figured out yet is the disc brakes capabilities of this frame, as you can see in the picture, 25mm seems a little bit too small, or maybe that's not where one mounts the calipers... Is it possible to install disc brakes in this frame? (I know I have to change the wheel hubs) Also, please note the seat stays shape, it looks problematic, but, I am no expert, that's why I ask you all. Thank you.

The fork is an IS mount and will be compatible with IS disc brakes , the rear is an odd one I'm only seen on very cheap junkers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say that a set of budget mechanical disc brakes on there wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the Vs. Hydraulic set would be but then with the extra cost of levers you'd be into turd polishing territory. Plus of course the new hubs.
BSO is parlance for Bicycle Shaped Object meaning it's cheaply produced low spec machine. Sorry to be brutally frank Frank.
And :welcome: to CC.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Interesting to see so many different mounting standards on one frame.. however I'd concur with what others have said - it looks cheap and budget disk brakes likely won't be much of an improvement over what's already fitted.

I'd make the most of what you've got for as little as possible with basic maintenance, and save towards a better bike.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Just get a cheap bike for £50 -£100 off Gumtree/Marketplace etc, It will be cheaper than getting all the bits and pieces for this frame.

I posted up an offer of some cable disc brakes but it got deleted 🤣

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The frame is IS mount too. You can get IS-to-post mount adaptors to allow the use of common calipers.

IS mounts are 51mm apart and not 25mm , hence not an IS but something else. I have seen that size before at bike recycling project and the calipers are not close to being compositable.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
IS mounts are 51mm apart and not 25mm , hence not an IS but something else. I have seen that size before at bike recycling project and the calipers are not close to being compositable.

There's an additional mount inboard on the rear triangle - seems this frame has all the mount standards and more :tongue:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
are the 25 mm spaced holes not just rack and mudguard mounts ?

I would concur that if your aim is to get this to a cheap full working bike, you'd be better off starting from a cheap full working bike off ebay / market place etc and not from this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom