Is it Disc Brake capable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Frank_1978

Frank_1978

How tall are you?
181cm (5.9")

OP
OP
Frank_1978

Frank_1978

The fork is an IS mount and will be compatible with IS disc brakes , the rear is an odd one I'm only seen on very cheap junkers.
Nice to know there is an option for disc brakes. And yeah, it is a very cheap bicycle, $250USD more or less, and I think it was overpriced :laugh:

OP
OP
Frank_1978

Frank_1978

I'd say that a set of budget mechanical disc brakes on there wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the Vs. Hydraulic set would be but then with the extra cost of levers you'd be into turd polishing territory. Plus of course the new hubs.
BSO is parlance for Bicycle Shaped Object meaning it's cheaply produced low spec machine. Sorry to be brutally frank Frank.
And :welcome: to CC.

Well, if the frame is giving me the option to "upgrade" I will do it, I mean, it is $15USD for 2 180mm disc brakes on Aliexpress, I can afford that.

OP
OP
Frank_1978

Frank_1978

are the 25 mm spaced holes not just rack and mudguard mounts ?

I would concur that if your aim is to get this to a cheap full working bike, you'd be better off starting from a cheap full working bike off ebay / market place etc and not from this.

That would be a nice add-on!
Well, I already have this bicycle, fixing and restoring it will give me experience to be able to delve deeper into bicycle mechanics.
Besides, how much is a good cheap bike?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike is quite a bit too small for you. You will really be wasting your money spending anything on this bike. As at least one other has said, sorry to be 'brutal'.
if your aim is to get this to a cheap full working bike, you'd be better off starting from a cheap full working bike off ebay / market place etc and not from this.
This ^ ^ ^
What is with this 'disc brake' fetish? (Besides the mechanical cable disc brakes themselves you'll need an ISO to post mount adaptor, wheels with a disc hub, rotors.
I and several others on here have resurrected many bikes - mine are mostly from the local tip recycling centre (prices have gone up from £15 to £20 (booo)).
If I tried to get your bike back into working order (to commute to work) from your OP description and images, keep the V-brakes and buy everything second hand, I expect I'd have to spend over £100 ($130?). I could show workings but it's really not worth it (chainset, BB, chain, cassette, wheelset, tyres and tubes, all cables renewed). And it would still be too small to ride (for Frank @1.81cm).
How long are the cranks (pedal axle to crank spindle centre? (?170mm)) - if you still have them?
Pull the seatpost (with saddle on top) out completely.
How long is it from saddle top to the post's bottom? (?300mm)
From the crank spindle centre to the top of the seat tube is 410mm.
Look about 8cm up from the bottom and it should have lines | | | | | and say 'minimum insertion'.
I aim to show you that the maximum distance you can achieve between saddle top and pedal top (pedal at 6 o'clock) is <850mm (your "inside seam").

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Sorry, I used a unit convertor, my height is 1 meter and 81 centimeters. 85cm of inseam. The more I read about bicycles, the more I need to apply math before choosing a component.

Ah you've been screwed by the imperial system, it's 5.9' of height, which is 5 foot 11inches -ish. There are 12 inches in a foot, not 10. Stick with centimeters, let the luddites use the converters :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Well, if the frame is giving me the option to "upgrade" I will do it, I mean, it is $15USD for 2 180mm disc brakes on Aliexpress, I can afford that.

Unless you are riding in horrendous rain or on really long mountainous descents, then I'd stick with the v-brakes. Well set up v-brakes beat out cheap disc brakes every time.

I converted my old mountain bike to disc brakes, but I spent about 50USD on a half decent set of Shimano brakes. The wheels I had were able to fit disc brake rotors on so I was able to do it quite cheaply.

Top Bottom