Odd things stolen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Today I parked my bike outside a Wetherspoons in Peterborough center, just after arriving there from Leeds, I didn't want a drink (well, I did), just a tinkle. I locked my bike up outside where there are 4 or 5 bike racks. My tinkle trip can only have lasted 3 minutes, on returning I unlocked the bike, lifted it up to turn it around and the front wheel fell out! Somebody had pilfered my skewer. :blink: Why? A friendly local directed me to Motosave about 1 minute away where a new one, ok, not Shimano, cost me £3.

Cyclist hatred I'll warrant.

I woke up one morning to find that I had stolen a shopping trolley and parked it neatly in my front garden.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We had 2 bags of grass clippings and other assorted garden trimmings stolen from by the garden gate where I'd left them before taking them to the tip.

Our neighbour also stole our recycling bin. Fortunately for him he'd gone out by the time I noticed, so I just lifted it back out of his garden (our house number was still on the underside of the lid). His wife's face was a picture when they got back and they were bin-less again...until the tosspot just went and took someone else's bin.

PK99

Legendary Member
At various times from my old Vauxhall Astra, from the street outside my house;

Vauxhall logo plate
Indicator cover
A wheel - buggers did not even stand it on bricks, just left it limping into the gutter,

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I've had the following stolen over a very short space of time from my car: The rubber T strip that sits in one of the Thule aero bars. My rear number plate. O/S wing mirror can ( the plastic bit that covers the mechanism etc.) Both front wiper blades. N/S screen washer jet.

Bloody Longleat!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not quite theft in the usual sense of the word, but one of my neighbours has been 'stealing' the empty space in my wheely bin! The bins are normally kept out in the back street and are emptied fortnightly. I managed quite nicely with this arrangement because I put most of my rubbish into separate recycling containers.

I was pretty disgruntled a few weeks ago to discover that my bin became 3/4 full overnight, less than a day after being emptied! It meant that I was almost certain to run out of space in the bin before the next collection time. The council will not collect bin bags from properties with wheely bins so I was left with the choice of storing rubbish to be put into the bin after the following collection or dumping my surplus into somebody else's bin. I did the decent thing and stored it.

This was not a case of mistaken bin identity because all the bins are clearly labelled with our house numbers in big white painted digits.

I am now bringing the bin into my back yard after it has been emptied and have put a bolt on the back gate to deter the phantom rubbish dumpers. I will be absolutely livid if somebody climbs over the fence and fills the bin in the yard! (Or worse - chucks bags of rubbish over the fence because they can't get to my bin ...)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Years and years ago I was given for my birthday the Venus & Mars album by Wings. A double gated album sleeve containing posters, a couple of stickers etc.

I loaned the album to my best mate to record on to cassette. A couple of days later I returned to his home to collect the album and on his driveway I noticed his Honda CB175 had the V&M stickers on the side panels of his bike. I naively thought that he had bought the album, but no, he had filched my stickers the cheeky daffodil.

Over the years I never let him forget it, then about 35 years later I was idly perusing round a charity shop and I noticed a Venus and Mars album, I checked it to see if it had any of the extra artwork and it did, stickers n all for £2:50, I bought it immediately. I phoned up my mate and told him he was at last forgiven. We had a bit of a giggle about it. Good memories, he died a few months later.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Years and years ago I was given for my birthday the Venus & Mars album by Wings. A double gated album sleeve containing posters, a couple of stickers etc.

I loaned the album to my best mate to record on to cassette. A couple of days later I returned to his home to collect the album and on his driveway I noticed his Honda CB175 had the V&M stickers on the side panels of his bike. I naively thought that he had bought the album, but no, he had filched my stickers the cheeky daffodil.

Over the years I never let him forget it, then about 35 years later I was idly perusing round a charity shop and I noticed a Venus and Mars album, I checked it to see if it had any of the extra artwork and it did, stickers n all for £2:50, I bought it immediately. I phoned up my mate and told him he was at last forgiven. We had a bit of a giggle about it. Good memories, he died a few months later.
Did he give you the £2.50? :whistle:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We got burgulated twice in the 1990s when I lived in that London. The first time, they nicked a whole wodge of paperwork... including my passport. Six months later, the police contacted me to tell me someone had been arrested, trying to sell my passport, in a pub in Liverpool! The most annoying thing about that was that they also nicked a writing case that belonged to my late father, and which had sentimental value for me. never saw that again.
The second time, nothing was taken at all, and it actually looked like they had tidied up a bit!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not quite theft in the usual sense of the word, but one of my neighbours has been 'stealing' the empty space in my wheely bin! The bins are normally kept out in the back street and are emptied fortnightly. I managed quite nicely with this arrangement because I put most of my rubbish into separate recycling containers.

I was pretty disgruntled a few weeks ago to discover that my bin became 3/4 full overnight, less than a day after being emptied! It meant that I was almost certain to run out of space in the bin before the next collection time. The council will not collect bin bags from properties with wheely bins so I was left with the choice of storing rubbish to be put into the bin after the following collection or dumping my surplus into somebody else's bin. I did the decent thing and stored it.

This was not a case of mistaken bin identity because all the bins are clearly labelled with our house numbers in big white painted digits.

I am now bringing the bin into my back yard after it has been emptied and have put a bolt on the back gate to deter the phantom rubbish dumpers. I will be absolutely livid if somebody climbs over the fence and fills the bin in the yard! (Or worse - chucks bags of rubbish over the fence because they can't get to my bin...)
You're not supposed to store your wheelie bin on the street!
Parkin Enforcement catch you, you'll be fined.

A mate stripped out all the dirty smelly carpets out of a place he was working on, left them near the front gate prior to putting them in his trailer.

They disappeared after a few minutes....
We had something similar at work; although, the carpets were replaced due to them being old and smelly and flea infested. The old smelly flea infested carpets were stolen from outside the facility.

Also somebody stole several tens of litres of white enamel paint used to put print onto glass. The enamel didn’t set until heated to around 500ºC. I always imagined somebody painting their house with it and wondering why it didn’t set :smile: – then trying to use a heat gun to burn it off, and making it set so they’d be unable to remove it ^_^.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You're not supposed to store your wheelie bin on the street!
Parkin Enforcement catch you, you'll be fined.
They tried that on our street, but being a terrace, there are several houses on the street with nowhere to store the bins that doesn't involve dragging the bin through the front room. So they gave up.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Parking enforcement would have no jurisdiction as bins aren't motor vehicles. Council enforcement officers might have the ability to issue a fine but that would depend on local byelaws. Otherwise it would have to be a prosecution under Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980.

But whinging about bins on streets is such an Eric Pickles thing to do...

To be fair he said parkin enforcement, although I'm not sure what ginger cake has got to do with wheelie bins...

A while back (I was a kid) my big sister's car was broken into and audio cassettes, tape deck and some other stuff was nicked.

When the attending bobby asked for an inventory my sister said:

"...oh, and one other thing, but it's not that important"
"Go on? What else?"
"A pint of milk that I'd just bought"
"Aha", said the bobby, "I've cracked it... it was a cat-burglar"

True!

Top Bottom