Odd tyre delamination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
The original rear tyre (about 3 years old) on my Dahan Vybe folder, started to delaminate on the side wall. Obviously knackered, and I have ordered some Marathon originals to replace them. Just wondered why it went like this. Anyone seen similar? PS It has never been ridden at low pressure.

Brake blocks not in the right place rubbing half on the rim and half on the tyre? Or just a bad tyre.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Brake blocks are OK and fully aligned with the rim. Front tyre is the original too and that is fine. Must be just a bad tyre. Never seen one go as bad as this before though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Side wall parting company with the bead? Its does happen, but not very often.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Bad tyre, but don't let it get that bad next time :ohmy:
Well therein lies a tale. I noticed that there was a wobble a week or two back. I examined the tyre and saw that the side wall was starting to bulge a bit. Now the folder get used a lot for short journeys to the shops and my dads house as it is the only bike I have with non SPD pedals. Last Wednesday, I have a dentist appointment in the afternoon. I also wanted some work doing on my car. So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, and take the car in and drop it off in the morning. So as I had to find something to do for the day, I took the folder with me. I had a nice ride to Bardney on the water railway, had a coffee and some cake. I then went to the dentist. After I got finished there, I had some more time to kill, so I went for a ride on the bike path out to Woodcocks on the Fossdyke for a beer. The garage rung at 3 and told me the car will be ready at 4. So I planned to leave at 4 time and get there for 4:30 (the garage shuts at 5). Unfortunately, when go to leave I have a rear puncture (the one with the dodgy tyre). I pump it up but it goes flat straight away (it was a pinch p*uncture btw). I also stupidly did not bring a spare tube or p*ncture repair kit. So I look at the bus times. Hmm an hour to next bus. So I have to walk / jog the 5 miles to the garage pushing the bike (which might have caused more damage to the flat tyre). I can't ring to tell them I'm going to be late as my phone battery died. I get there at 5:15 a sweaty, dehydrated, angry, wreck. Lucky for me they stayed open. I apologised profusely, paid and left. So it is official, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
That's the single benefit of a Schwalbe model Marathon: if you have a flat you can ride home and still use the tyre afterwards. Due to the 5 mm thickness of the running section. I did that once (15 km), and after tat it held out a further 3 months (pressurized not flat lol).

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
New tyres fitted. I got some Schwalbe marathon greenguard touring from Merlin cycles at £17 each and a new tube. They ride ok and actually have some proper grip unlike the OEM tyres that were semi slick even when new. Hopefully they are going to be better the the frankly awful OEM tyres.

Top Bottom