Odd tyre problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I fitted two Vittoria Randonneur 700/28 tyres to my Revolt last night. I'd had them hanging up in the garage for about six years.

On the way to work I noticed a bump each time the front wheel revolved. Turns out that about 6" of the tyre sat 4mm lower on the rim than the rest.

I measured the rim and moved the tyre around on the rim and had the same problem at the same point on the tyre so I've proven that the rim is OK.

All a bit odd...wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar problem?

Try putting a good dusting of chalk or talc on the inside walls of the rims and the tyres should seat better.

Sharky

Guru
Check the sidewall at the point where the bump is. Could be beginning to split from the main tread.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Talc and over inflate ?

This used to happen a lot with tubed motorcycle tyres unless precautions were taken, that you will recognise from the above replies. I used to fit with a lubricant (soapy water), partially inflate then bounce the wheel on the ground to pop the bead into the correct position on the rim. There was a circumferential line on the sidewall called "fitting line" that you could use to check it was parallel with the rim, and so the tyre bead was correctly located on the rim, before fully inflating. Note, I was using a footpump, not a compressed air line. I know its common with tubeless tyres to overinflate to pop the tyre bead on the rim. I've never had this with bike tyres as far as I can remember,

Top Bottom