Odour neutralising

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
How can I neutralise the bad smell in a fridge/freezer?

It had been switched off accidentally during the heat-wave of the past few days and it had meat rotting in it. Rotting meat and blood make a heady concoction. xx( The stench was outrageous.

Now it's been cleaned out and disinfected but still the stench lingers.

Any ideas what substances could be put in the fridge (or applied to the inner walls) to get rid of the smell?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not sure but aren't lemon juice, vinegar or bicarb normally considered to help remove odours. (Used separately I think).

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks.
Dumb question...Do you mean bicarb in solution and then wiped on the walls or powder in a container and left in the fridge?

longers

Legendary Member
I'm sure I've heard of microwaving a lemon that's been cut in half and then sticking it in the fridge while it's still hot. If it's that bad then maybe a couple or more are needed.

longers

Legendary Member
I think the advice was to get the lemon halves really hot, then sticking them in the fridge.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks.
Dumb question...Do you mean bicarb in solution and then wiped on the walls or powder in a container and left in the fridge?

Why not try both; clean the walls with a solution and afterwards leave a tray of it in the bottom of the fridge.

Not quite as resourceful but I once had a stink in my fridge and to get rid of it I bought one of those little fridge gel deodorants that I've seen in most supermarkets.

Top Bottom