Of lightening and steel frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...erm..is it a good idea to ride in a thunderstorm? I know a car is ok if struck because the curretn goes around the occupant or something...but what about my bike...am I gonna die...be fried alive...will my balls melt, my hands grill and my arse b bar b que'd? :biggrin:

ChrisW

Are you telling us you don't cycle quicker than lightening?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If lightning can jump hundreds of feet to the clouds it's not going to be stopped by your tyres or anything else. Best thing to do is ride like buggery down off the hill.

bonj2

No, because your tyres are made of rubber and the lightning knows this and picks on an easier target. If you have mudguards though you may be doomed as the lightning sees them from above and thinks they're your wheels made of metal and will strike you.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
No, because your tyres are made of rubber and the lightning knows this and picks on an easier target. If you have mudguards though you may be doomed as the lightning sees them from above and thinks they're your wheels made of metal and will strike you.

but my steel bike has plastic guards. am i going to be a victim of lightning misidentification?

and does anyone here have non-metallic wheels (apart from the carbon boys and girls)?

asterix

Comrade Member
bonj said:

Presumably this danger could be averted through use of black mudguards rather than silver ones?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The best advice is to put on one of those foil wraps they give you after a marathon to keep warm, and stand under a tall tree, on top of a hill, holding your bike by the crossbar.

Oy, Panter, get that woman avatar back pronto! :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
A good friend of mine used to be able to make a Faraday cage out of bent spokes he used to keep in his pannier when the need arose.

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
but my steel bike has plastic guards. am i going to be a victim of lightning misidentification?

and does anyone here have non-metallic wheels (apart from the carbon boys and girls)?

Yes, you might be, and it'll be your own fault for having mudguards.
asterix said:
Presumably this danger could be averted through use of black mudguards rather than silver ones?

No because lightning isn't that clever.... :biggrin: duh ...:biggrin:

Top Bottom