Off on the C2C tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi all, off on the C2C tomorrow... it'll be my first ever trip like this and I have never cycled further than 28 miles in one go....!

Sure it'll be fine... :sad::laugh:

Anyway friends and I are going to be blogging it here and posting updates on Twitter - search for #chsc2c if any of you fancy seeing how we're doing/where we're up to.

I know it's only a small adventure in comparison to some on here but I am v excited, can't wait! Hopefully it will pave the way for longer efforts in the future :biggrin:

Hope you have a great time. I really enjoyed my c2c, a few hard climbs but well worth it.

Good luck

GM

Legendary Member
Hi, 3 of us did it last september from Ravenglass to Tynemouth Priory. We did it in two and a half days comfortable, the middle section is a bit hilly but stunning scenery. So good luck on a memorable experience.

thegreenman said:
Hi, 3 of us did it last september from Ravenglass to Tynemouth Priory. We did it in two and a half days comfortable, the middle section is a bit hilly but stunning scenery. So good luck on a memorable experience.

Isn't that the hadrians cycle route?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
addictfreak said:
Isn't that the hadrians cycle route?

That's what I was thinking (unless I'm actually doing the C2C by mistake next week :biggrin:)

Lanternrouge, are you going from Whitehaven or Workington? If the former I may see you on the path tomorrow morning so if you see a fat bloke in a green coat on a silver hybrid say hi ;)

Crankarm

Guru
Have a great ride. The scenery is pretty good especially around Keswick up to Penrith and on to Alston. The Pennines are special as well. Watch out for little scrotes, mopeds, dogs, horses and trollies as you ride around Consett. Are you going to Newcastle or Whitby?

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi guys, got back from the C2C on schedule and been away with the gf so been unable to post. Thanks for the good wishes and the advice! Crankarm I certainly know what you mean now about Consett...! We went from Whitehaven to Sunderland in the end, sorry if we passed you and said nothing mcshroom, I missed your reply! In the end we missed what happened in Whitehaven by only 24 hours - how lucky??

Overall it was a memorable experience - such a satisfying feeling to get to the end. The climbs were pretty tough - Hartside Summit and numerous others!

On a personal note it was great to realise how much I can do. 48 miles on day 2 and 60 on day 3 including the climbs - it's made me want to do much more ;)

I have put photos and vids from the MUVI camera up on our blog if anyone fancies a gander.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Looks like a great ride and the weather held firm (I bet the beginning was worrying :smile:).

The pictures are great, and when we see your group in the pictures it looked like you had a really great time. Now your making me more excited about my trip next week.

The shootings are very shocking, and on the cycle path you actually go within 30m of Derrick Bird's front door :ohmy:. But don't let the news spoil the memories of your ride. Well done!:biggrin:

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hope you have an awesome time on your trip mcshroom! Hope we can see some pics :biggrin:

Just read the other thread about the shootings - I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you are recovering as best you can.

Crankarm

Guru
Glad you had a good couple of days riding. Hartside yes, not too bad though. Also Winlatter (probably haven't spelled it correctly) and up around Nenthead, Killup and Allenheads is a bit steep IIRC.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm planning on doing the C2C at the beginning of July, and I've just been looking at trains to get home. One train company involved doesn't take cycle bookings - how many times have people failed to get on trains because their very limited cycle spaces are already full?

I've only taken my bike on the train about 3 times - and couldn't get on when I tried the 4th time for the above reasons. Does this happen frequently, or was I just unlucky?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Northern Rail trains from Whitehaven/Workington officially only hold two bikes. In practise I've been one of eight at one point (most of the trains are super sprinters which have a decent luggage space at one end, unfortunately there is one tram (class 142) on the line though.

They are in general very helpful in trying to squeeze you on (although you could always get a jobsworth I suppose) and so far I haven't had any problems getting on the train.

Jmetz

may well have crossed paths i was around that way for the duration of last week, i couldnt see any racks on the image, so i presume you didnt take much and B&B'd it?

At one of the camp sites i stayed at there was a bloke with two lads i think, and his mrs was meeting them at every site providing them with clothing food and the tent (so another bloke at the site told us)

Top Bottom