Off road on a Giant Rapid 2 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trout750

Hi. Im totally new to cycling and have Brought a second hand Giant Rapid 2 flat bar bike. Now the maximum tryre width i think ill get away with is a 32mm. Is it possible to do any off roading with this. Itll be mostly gravel and woodland trails but not the rough terrain for mtb.
The reason for this is my wife doesn't feel comfortable road riding, and living in Sittingbourne kent there's not that we know of any traffic free areas suitable for road bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’ll be absolutely fine, just lower the pressure a little. I ride my drop bar road bike here on 28c tyres on the tracks and dirt roads here with no problem except it’s a little uncomfortable on rutted hard packed dirt.
If you don’t have one already buy a track pump so you can monitor your settings.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

T4tomo

Guru
With the right tyres, "gravel" spec pimple type ones, you'll be pleasantly surprised where you can go, particularly when its dry. I've been across fields and through woods on a bridleway, when my route "planning" - i think this road links up with where i want to go, oh actually the tarmac has run out - let me down, on 28mm tyres on a touring bike. It did raise a few eyebrows from some chaps on full sus MTB's:okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm actually currently thinking about doing the same with my Specialized Vita carbon flat bar bike. Chunkier tyres on and I think it would be quite a nippy gravel/light trail bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes a flat bar with 32mm tyres is perfectly good for trails and tracks, definitely in the dry at least. I've got a Giant Escape which is closely comparable (similar tyres as well) and it's almost always used on country footpaths and bridleways. They're very good bikes for it actually, quick and nimble as well as capable.

Sharky

Guru
Please don't be put off from riding on the road. The main roads in Kent are very busy, but get off these, the roads can be quiet. You could take your bikes to CycloPark for a completely car free experience. Will need to check when the track is open to casual riders.

If you are happy driving then cycling, Grain is like a forgotten world if you keep to the back roads.

I'm a bit to the west of you, but there are stretches of the Pilgrims Way that are very nice to ride on.

There is comfort when riding in a group. The thought of joining a club might not have risen yet, but most clubs will offer rides at slow as well as fast pace. Just need to enquire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trout750

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel a lot better with my choice now. Actually recieved my new schwalbe cx comp tyres today but ordered 30mm instead of 32.
Hopefully these will be ok.

JonT005

Regular
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel a lot better with my choice now. Actually recieved my new schwalbe cx comp tyres today but ordered 30mm instead of 32.
Hopefully these will be ok.
Anything larger than a 28 should be good for fine gravel paths

Top Bottom