off road routs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shane

hi i live in melksham just wondering if anyone knew of any off road tracks or routs or somethink near here cant seem to find any online

RedBike

Just have a look at a map.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...=melksham&st=3&tl=Map+of+Melksham,+Wiltshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

There are two types of red dashed line on the map. One denotes a footpath (short dashes) and one denotes a bridleway (long dashes), Make sure you only GET SEEN (wink wink) riding on bridleways!

You need to buy an ordnance survey map of the area where you live, which will have all the rights of way marked on it. You can't go on footpaths, but bridleways, bridleways-open-to-all-traffic (BOATS) and roads used as a public path (RUPPS) are all fair game. It is illegal to ride on footpaths and you shouldn't do it.

Multimap.com does have the ordnance survey data on it I think...

02GF74

Über Member
Kirstie said:
It is illegal to ride on footpaths and you shouldn't do it.

It is also illegal to mug pensioners or exceed the speed limit yet both happen in proliferation.

In my opinion, riding on a path designated for pedestrian, who you are very unlikley to come across, it not the most heineous crtime imaginable.

oh, and unless your are american, it is ROUTE.

02GF74 said:
It is also illegal to mug pensioners or exceed the speed limit yet both happen in proliferation.

In my opinion, riding on a path designated for pedestrian, who you are very unlikley to come across, it not the most heineous crtime imaginable.

It is illegal to ride on footpaths and you shouldn't do it.
If you think that a footpath should be reclassified as a bridleway then talk to your local rights of way officer.

02GF74 said:

Does that apply to driving on bridleways too?;)

oh, and unless your are american, it is ROUTE.

Yes.

Shane, as others have said, get yourself an OS map - the 1:25 000 series (orange covers) are good for bridleways, but 1:50 000 maps will do at a pinch, and cover a larger area.

Top Bottom