Off to Alsace! Happy days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hope you are all well. Off for some cycling around the vineyards, very excited and happy lol. Was meant to be taking friends on another France C2C for 3weeks this year, but happening in 2021 now. Glad to be escaping, putting some miles in, drinking wine and seeing great sights. :smile:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hope you are all well. Off for some cycling around the vineyards, very excited and happy lol. Was meant to be taking friends on another France C2C for 3weeks this year, but happening in 2021 now. Glad to be escaping, putting some miles in, drinking wine and seeing great sights. :smile:

Good luck and happy wine drinking (and cycling, of course) ;)

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Merci. super excited as you can tell lol. Loosing our minds being at home most of the time. Hope you and everyone else are planning to escape ASAP.

^^^ this is my query too!
Alsace is one of my favourite vineyard areas of la belle france. Let me know if you'd like a couple of recommendations of producers to visit

DRM

Guru
Thanks for the tip. Didn;t know about Ficher. Will defo check it out. Catch you out there maybe
Don't forget Meteor either, brewed in Hochfelden, as an aside the locals like their beer with a bit of fruit juice in the glass with it, also try a flammekuchen bit like an Alsatian pizza.

DRM

Guru
all sounds good! will come back fat, like we did from Austria lol
If you get to Mommenheim, I can thoroughly recommend the Boulangerie Patisserie Bernhard for a coffee and cakes to die for :hungry:
Also the local architecture is very Germanic, for obvious reasons as the border has been moved several times in history, also don’t be surprised if locals speak to you in a curious mix of French with a bit of German thrown into the mix, a lot of people speak both in this region.

Last edited:
If you get to Mommenheim, I can thoroughly recommend the Boulangerie Patisserie Bernhard for a coffee and cakes to die for :hungry:
Also the local architecture is very Germanic, for obvious reasons as the border has been moved several times in history, also don’t be surprised if locals speak to you in a curious mix of French with a bit of German thrown into the mix, a lot of people speak both in this region.

Ironically, the villages on the German side of the river all look French. I guess the architecture developed to suit the farming, independently of the wider political situation.
As to language, where I work one department deals with Laundry from a retirement home in France, and I was surprised how many of the residents there have German names and are specifically referred to as "Herr" or "Frau", not "Monsieur" or "Madame".

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
thanks, yep know about the architecture, saw it on Le tour last year, one of the reasons we are going. Make a list of nice places each year. Should be lovely. Had a nice ride up Cheddar Gorge at the weekend, perfect weather, no wind :smile:

This was startling to me on the weekend: also that some murals on the farmhouses had text in a German dialect.

I also visited a tiny Commonwealth/French war cemetery and was struck by how many soldiers who, as the plaque stated: "Died for their love of France" had German names.

It was pretty nice there though. I just rode a short distance over the border to Neuf-Brisach, which was fantastic but I'd advise you to go earlier in the morning, before the tourists turn up. I'd also recommend going to its twin of Breisach, about 5 km away on the German side of the river:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_12.JPG

Very beautiful but less famous so has fewer tourists.

Top Bottom