Official route for LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlieivan

Having recently returned from a trip to the north of Scotland and managed to fit in a visit to John O'Groats I got to wondering if there was an official route for the cycle ride. Reading all the reports regarding times people have taken it made me wonder if all these people took the same route. Obviously the routes must have changed from the early years due to road improvements and motorways etc. If someone wanted to set a record for the trip (not me I must add!!) would there be an official route that they must take?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There isn't an official route. Any route that starts at one extremity and ends at the other will do.

The record is around 44 hours aided by a strong tailwind.

CafGriff

I;m planning to follow in the wheel treads of Ellie Bennett after reading ' Mud, Sweat and Gears'!! Nice one Girl :thumbsup:
I'm going to spend 21 days in the voyage - that's if work permitts my plan, or I win the Lottery ... I'm planning on travelling with 4 panniers, camping gears and allternetaing between, Camp sites / B&B's and pibs and inn's .. after all Ellie has recommended 50 real ales to try .. not pretend ones, real ones! Really!!:laugh:

Why would people want to whiz bang through the scenery and the beauty of our country and Scotland?
That is sacreficially scaring drinking wastage time!!! Crazy :biggrin:

CafGriff

Yep ... I plan on staying to the bike trails / the B roads and the bridle paths as much as poss.
Obviously, I will have to touch roads at some points but where and when poss Sustrans trails and avoiding major, traffic routes. I've touched 'Streetcycle.net' or 'Cyclestreet.net' ( can't remember at the mo what it's call ) :wacko: but it was brilliant to sit here on the sofa, last Friday and plan - and see - on screen the 21 days in April that are NOW, keeping me awake at night. :laugh:
I love this planning milarkie though:eek:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There isn't an official route. Any route that starts at one extremity and ends at the other will do.

The record is around 44 hours aided by a strong tailwind.

That is very impressive, say 960 miles distance (distances seem to vary per google), that is just shy of 22 mph with no stops!

CafGriff

But why wouldn't people want to stop?? coffee needs to be smelt! .. memories have to occur, ..... BEER and gossip has to be consumed!!:laugh:

bridle paths with four panniers might be a bit of a mission over styes etc....:unsure:
Bridlepaths don't have stiles - horses can't manage them. Only footpaths have stiles in the UK...
Bridlepaths with panniers are not that difficult, unless the bridlepath has steps in it, which horses can manage and apparently so should bikes... the bigger problems are barricades such as these...

IMG_5786.JPG IMG_5788.JPG IMG_5789.JPG

(I have met much worse than these in the UK, but didn't photo them at the time).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Now that's what I call a determined effort to stop anything other than a bog standard cycle getting on their precious path! A few years ago I set off to ride London to Bristol along the Avon and Kennet Sustrans route #4. The route between Reading and Hungerford was turned into a complete PITA by similar types of barriers, which weren't wide enough to get through with panniers attached. I gave up at Hungerford; the frequency of those things combined with the poor quality of the "paths" was turning it into an ordeal rather than a fun experience.

Now that's what I call a determined effort to stop anything other than a bog standard cycle getting on their precious path! A few years ago I set off to ride London to Bristol along the Avon and Kennet Sustrans route #4. The route between Reading and Hungerford was turned into a complete PITA by similar types of barriers, which weren't wide enough to get through with panniers attached. I gave up at Hungerford; the frequency of those things combined with the poor quality of the "paths" was turning it into an ordeal rather than a fun experience.

yep - did it once, will not do it again. the alternative is the road which is where I am about to go and cycle just to avoid these barricades - with panniers. defeats the object really.

CafGriff

Fanx Guys!! I shall bear this in mind! :banghead:
My epic doesn't start till April, at the mo I'm considering many various panniers and 1 man light weight tentings.
My master is to spend the winter getting used to the equipment and education from starting to camp in the garden, odd nights away, odd weekends away and eventually :eek: .... THE TRIP!!

My epic doesn't start till April, at the mo I'm considering many various panniers and 1 man light weight tentings.
My master is to spend the winter getting used to the equipment and education from starting to camp in the garden, odd nights away, odd weekends away and eventually :eek: .... THE TRIP!!

there is one thing I have found about camping in your own garden - it only works as a kid. As an adult, the door is too much of an incentive...:laugh:

work on the overnight option and build from there and don't over plan the trip, or worry too much about it. It is surprisingly easy to cycle 50 miles a day when that is all you have to do that day. Our first tour (in Denmark only 3 years ago) surprised the daylights out of me because although I though nothing of walking 30 miles in a day, strangely cycling 50 miles in a day sounded too far! It wasn't and before long we were averaging 70 miles a day.

We set out in for JOGLE 2 weeks on Friday for a leisurely west coast & islands route to home and then I continue on alone to complete JOGLE.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

On the one man tent issue - you are better off with a two man tent. One man tents are rather cramped and if you are taking four panniers you might find it difficult to store them inside the tent. A two man tent isn't that much heavier and gives you much more space to play with.

On the panniers front, I've had Alturas, Halfords' own brand and Carradice. I settled for Carradice as my permanent choice. They are durable and I like their look. I have used four panniers and two panniers and for the UK, I now use two panniers. When touring in Europ, I use four panniers but generally with the same amount of equipment as I'd pack in two. This leaves space for bringing gifts and stuff back with me.

I'd not get too obsessed with planning at this early stage. An overplanned trip leaves little room for surprises. If you are doing odd nights away in the tent in winter, do make sure that you have enough clothing to supplement your sleeping bag's insulation.

Now would be a good time to start getting used to camping out. It's still warm and the day length is still good.

The trip itself is fine. It's just a series of consecutive days rides. I never looked further than the ride to be done on the day.

The only thing I fretted about was getting too and from Thurso/Wick by train on my LEJOG and JOGLE rides but I saved that fretting until the booking opportunity window opened. It was pointless fretting about tickets until I knew that I could or couldn't have them.

Twenty one days is a generous amount of time for the trip though if you are following the meanderings of Sustrans routes and bridle paths, your progress on some days might be less than anticipated.

One final tip for this posting is to remember that you are hauling additional weight on your tour and you need to up your calorie intake. Once or twice I under-ate and the fatigue consequences were unpleasant until I ate my way back out of them.

Top Bottom