Oh bugger...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the possibility of a (paid) job doing support on a charidee ride in a few weeks. :sad:

Just as the '93 Veloce 8speed hub in my road bike gives up the ghost.:biggrin:

Anyone tried buying a Campag eight speed hub recently? :angry:

So, since eight speed is now effectively obsolete I'd be daft to spend money on eight speed gear and should take the opportunity to upgrade to 9 or 10. I'm running a nine speed chainset but if I go down this road the bike will require (in addition to the new hub, spokes rim and build) a new cassette, chain and (ouch! ouch! ouch!) shifters.

Not to mention front and rear mechs.

There is an easy option, I could of course fit an off the shelf factory 8 or 9spd Shi**no wheel, cheapo eight speed cassette with a £2 spacer and a 9spd chain. Except I cannot bring myself to put Shi**no on my Colnago, anymore than I would put a Toyota engine in my Maserati.

If I had a maserati.

Arse.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You think you've got problems? I'm trying to keep my 7 speed Uniglide hub going..............

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's the hub that's gone West, I think. 8 speed cogs are not so very tricky to get hold of, but the hubs are like rocking horse poo.

@Mickle - MTFU and get a Shimano-compatible hub, at least while you save up for 10 speed stuff. It's the only way...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Just hung 400 quids worth of wheels on the viking. Looks really really nice with its fancy cranks, especially for a bike in its fifth decade.......

Found a crack on the left top eye. And ive got a track meet next thursday. I'm gonna have to RUIN its lovely glossy claret powder coat fixing it.

Double bugger.

Wobbly John

Veteran
An 8 speed campag cassette will fit on a 9/10 speed hub. The splines are deeper on the 9/10 speed so you can't fit a 9 speed cassette on an 8 speed hub.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Wobbly John said:
An 8 speed campag cassette will fit on a 9/10 speed hub. The splines are deeper on the 9/10 speed so you can't fit a 9 speed cassette on an 8 speed hub.

I didn't think that was the case, shall investigate further. Her indoors has 9spd, I'll take it apart when she has her back turned. Cheers John.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That Japanese company... their 9 & 10 speed hubs take anything, I'd expect the Campagnolo ones to do the same with the required spacer(s).

colly

Re member eR
I didn't think that was the case, shall investigate further. Her indoors has 9spd, I'll take it apart when she has her back turned. Cheers John.
Resurrection of an old topic........Did you ever discover if the 8 speed sprockets did fit the 9 speed hub ?

Top Bottom