Oh dear, another "help with chain" thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

I have a kraken with an all SRAM x5 setup. I would have thought that the chain would have come with a powerlink thingy, but I cant find it, all I can see is identical links with the exception of the one below with a flat link pin, rather than a dimpled one like the rest...

4403563983_bbf4384b02_o.jpg

Now Im assuming that would be the pin to remove with a chain tool, right?

Also, I like the idea of carrying a few power links to either fix a chain when out and about, but especially for some chain cleaning maintance. To fit a powerlink would I just pop that pin out, and the one to its left and re-connect it using the power link?

Cheers, Paul.

MichaelM

Guru
Paulkraken said:
Hi,
Also, I like the idea of carrying a few power links to either fix a chain when out and about, but especially for some chain cleaning maintance. To fit a powerlink would I just pop that pin out, and the one to its left and re-connect it using the power link?

Cheers, Paul.

In a word: yes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd recommend anywhere but the odd pin.

Shimano chains join with a special pin. These are single use - you should not split the chain at the special pin as a second pin in the same hole won't hold.
It would be OK to remove than pin and the one to the left, but I believe they are harder to push out than normal pins and it is possible to break a chain tool on a stubborn pin.

I stopped using Shimano chains back in the days of 6 speed, before joining links and special pins were invented.

Top Bottom