Oh FFS!!!!! (rant)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was offf to Nottingham today to see the Dalai Lama who is teaching there until Wed and to see friends in Brum en route.

Checked in with FlyBe online. No probs.

Get to Aberdeen Airport.

Flight was OVERBOOKED!!!

I had already checked in so how did they allow me to checkin for a flight and tell me that I can't get on it?!!!

There were several businessmen, regular cutomers of FlyBe who turned up and wanted to fly on that particulay flight. So, money spoke.

I was told that the next seat is available on Sunday evening.

I told them to give me a full refund and not just on the air tickets, the £100 for the Dalai Lama tickets as well. Which I got. Credited to my credit card at the customer service desk. Only because I insisted on watching them do it.

F@£$%EN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!

Won't be flying them again. Obviously taking hints from the BA book of customer service. If you're not business class, f$%K off!!!!

One wrecked weekend

;):angry::thumbsup::angry::biggrin::angry::biggrin::angry::smile::angry::smile::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

domtyler

Über Member
What a bummer!!!

To be fair though, this is part and parcel of the risk you take booking with the cheap airlines, it's no secret that you might not get on. You could have paid more for a guaranteed seat.

Anyhow, get yourself down to the local car hire company or train station and get yourself there another way. Now.

col

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
The cheap airlines deliberately and habitually overbook to take account of "no shows". That way they ensure their flights are full.

But even no shows have already paid havnt they?,so even if it was an empty plane,they still have the money of a full one,so it seems they overbook for extra cash,sounds a money making scam to me?

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
But even no shows have already paid havnt they?,so even if it was an empty plane,they still have the money of a full one,so it seems they overbook for extra cash,sounds a money making scam to me?

It is about making money col, it is how they can make the seats available at such low prices. As i said before, it is no secret, I thought most people knew and accepted this, no?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
col said:

Ah yes, but when you pay your fare you also pay taxes. What happens to the tax when you don't travel and therefore have no liability to pay that tax? Do I have to answer that question?

col

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Ah yes, but when you pay your fare you also pay taxes. What happens to the tax when you don't travel and therefore have no liability to pay that tax? Do I have to answer that question?

Like i said,i think its a scam to make money,on the pretext that someone might not show,and knowingly that some may not show,so thats money in the bank anyway,but also knowingly that they will end up ruining someones weekend because of that greed,and dare i say seemingly dishonest attitude.

Evilcat

col said:
Like i said,i think its a scam to make money,on the pretext that someone might not show,and knowingly that some may not show,so thats money in the bank anyway,but also knowingly that they will end up ruining someones weekend because of that greed,and dare i say seemingly dishonest attitude.
Even if you cancel a "non-refundable" ticket you are entitled to the tax back. But you are right that airlines don't make reclaiming the tax portion easy. In fact, even when airlines are clearly in the wrong, most are adept at taking a route which at best is duplicitous and at worst plain illegal.

If you are denied boarding for a flight then you are entitled to compensation under EU directive 261/2004. From memory I think this is £170 or so for a shorthaul flight. And the airlines must give you clear information at check in that this is the case.

EC

Top Bottom