Oh no getting that new bike feeling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well not exactly a new bike but more like a new frame and forks. I have got a steel Roberts tourer a couple of CF racers a aluminium Bianchi and a cheap steel audux bike but now I am wondering whether to use some of the parts on these to build up a TI Audux bike.
The Tourer just seems like hard work to use locally although it can be argued that its building up my fitness and the racers are great for more speed and climbing hills so I am wondering whether a TI Audux would give me a bit of both of these bikes.
Can anyone tell me whether there is a lot of difference between a TI Audux to a CF racer. One of the advantages I can think of with the Audux would be a higher riding position that I have on a racer.
Would a TI Audux be the answer to what I am looking for or could I even get the same from a decent steel Audux frame. Appreciate any opinions you have Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d say a CF racer and Ti audax will be chalk and cheese. Given your location, go to Enigma in Hailsham. Book an appointment one day and get some test rides on their gorgeous fleet!

Ti feels lovely to ride, springy :biggrin: carbon doesn’t feel anything like that. You could look at a genesis equilibrium as a cheaper steel option

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I love my Spa Cycles Elan. The value was incredible and I think the prices are good for their Audax. It doesn’t sound much, but on 100-200 km Audax rides I can get about 3kph more than my tourer from the lighter bike. It is comparable in comfort and easier to chuck into the back of my truck after a long day.

You have left the South West? If you are on any local rides you are welcome to have a spin.

I have no knowledge on CF so I can’t help you there.

CF bikes tend to have physically smaller tubes, and are easier to chuck around, Ti can be a nightmare, if the frame builder isn’t right on the money, it’s easy to get the welding / brazing wrong, and for the frames to fracture at the joins. A lot of Ti bikes are ‘adventure’ type bikes, so they will have things like thru axel set ups, rather than QR wheels, as well as the increased tyre clearances, and disc brakes. Increasingly, CF bikes are being designed like this as well now. I’d always go for CF over Ti, if for no other reason than the flexibility with available componentry.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
I’d say a CF racer and Ti audax will be chalk and cheese. Given your location, go to Enigma in Hailsham. Book an appointment one day and get some test rides on their gorgeous fleet!

Ti feels lovely to ride, springy :biggrin: carbon doesn’t feel anything like that. You could look at a genesis equilibrium as a cheaper steel option
Thanks Vickster I didn't know that they did test rides.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
I love my Spa Cycles Elan. The value was incredible and I think the prices are good for their Audax. It doesn’t sound much, but on 100-200 km Audax rides I can get about 3kph more than my tourer from the lighter bike. It is comparable in comfort and easier to chuck into the back of my truck after a long day.

You have left the South West? If you are on any local rides you are welcome to have a spin.

I have no knowledge on CF so I can’t help you there.
Thanks HC I have been looking at their Audux bikes.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
CF bikes tend to have physically smaller tubes, and are easier to chuck around, Ti can be a nightmare, if the frame builder isn’t right on the money, it’s easy to get the welding / brazing wrong, and for the frames to fracture at the joins. A lot of Ti bikes are ‘adventure’ type bikes, so they will have things like thru axel set ups, rather than QR wheels, as well as the increased tyre clearances, and disc brakes. Increasingly, CF bikes are being designed like this as well now. I’d always go for CF over Ti, if for no other reason than the flexibility with available componentry.
Thanks Rr you've now got me wondering whether I should just be satisfied with what I have !

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Rr you've now got me wondering whether I should just be satisfied with what I have !
Go try Ti, it’ll feel rather different to CF (not necessarily better but different). You’ll also be able to fit proper mudguards and a fixed rack for overnighting, touring etc

I find my TI bike very surprising in that it’s a tourer but really very comfortable to ride. (Even with M+tires).

It’s not zippy but it really does eat up the miles. I would second the Spa to range and if you have the time it’s worth going into their shop (make a weekend of it) and do loads of test rides.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My Ti was based around the Kinesis tripster atr.........with quick releases, disc brakes and room for upto 40mm tyres.

Not all Ti frames are based around thru axles............do some research

vickster

Legendary Member
I had an email to say that Enigma's Etape Disc (with thru axles) will be available from January

FishFright

More wheels than sense

My Ti bike , Van Nicolas Zepher, doesnt have a thru axle or anything remotely adventurey about it. But as a comfy, fast mile eater nothing else in my selection (not fleet) comes close. And thats with skinny Veloflex tyres on it

I don't own a coal string n glue bike * as I don't watch GCN or do Strava etc

*ofc this is a not yet statement

bpsmith

Veteran
Only have carbon myself, but have lusted over a Titanium frame once in a while.

I think there’s far too much misinformation around which is better. A well made frame of either type, with the same components and paint, and fitting the rider properly would be very difficult to tell apart in ride quality.

Top Bottom