Oh no....thousands and thousands of miles lost!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Indeed - and no one, or nothing (other than Alzheimers) can take that away from you. You have 180,000 miles of memories, and presumably 180,000 miles of fitness, all of which remain untouched. Shrug it off. You have what matters.

Surely Strava can do something
I'm not sure than can.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 09.31.51.jpg

Not being able to recover it is part of the privacy policy you agree to when you join Strava. Recovering deleted data (even if they can) may put them in legal jeopardy. I'm not a lawyer though, so my fingers are crossed for @AlanW.

For anyone who this has scared, you can get a copy of the GPX tracks for all your rides by clicking Download All Your Activities on your settings page.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
[QUOTE 5083700, member: 9609"]180,000 miles ? that is a lot of riding[/QUOTE]

Yep, just over 181,000 miles to be more precise. On the 29th September this year I was 9th overall out of 37,700 riders worldwide in total miles recorded on Strava...gone :eek:

Still waiting for Strava to get back to me to see of they can reinstate my old account.

And yes I was backing up my rides to Garmin Connect and also RWGPS, although I wasn't doing this in the early day. BUT...although my privacy setting were default set so that anyone could see them, its turns out that both sites have set them all to private, so I cannot export any of them now!

However, the good news (at last) is that Ive contacted RWGPS last night (2am!!) and they have now bulk set all my existing ride data to "open to all" and given me three days premium membership FOC so that I can back them all up. Dunno where Im backing them up though to be honest?

Which is great, and top marks to them for responding so quickly. The bad news is that neither them nor I can figure out how to import some many files into Strava, other than 25 at a time? And with hundreds of files, it would hours.

In the meantime I am still waiting for Garmin to respond to see if they can do the same and bulk set my existing rides to "open to all"?

I was a bit surprised to see quite a few rides in my backup appearing in ".fit" format, which isn't a format that I use.
What format you use is irrelevant. They will extract the data from whatever you upload, and store it as a set of points in their database. The file (if their is one) will be discarded immediately. If you download rides, they will generate the files, in whatever format they have decided is best for that data.

At a wild guess, are the rides generating FIT files the ones with sensor data, eg cadence or HRM?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's what I found odd. My rides are all vanilla GPX. I don't have any sensors. Still, it's not that interesting.

FIT files are your rides in recorded 'Garmin' form.
You can upload them to Strava, RWGPS etc and they will extract the information.
Worth keeping.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Sounds like someone is going to be busy with some rather boring work.
Remind us who it was deleted your account? ;)

My son, sticking his oar in again!

Still nothing from Strava or Garmin.....boo hoo
Are you a premium member of strava? Just looked at my last ticket, from several years ago. Took them 12 days to respond.

(oh, of course you aren't premium. Your account was deleted. Sorry!)
its recovered just over 55,000 miles so far.
You can stop now. That's more miles than I have kilometres. More than enough for anybody!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
A ray of hope from Strava:-

Thanks for writing in Alan. There are a few ways we can try to locate your deleted account. Please answer the following questions:

1. Can you send me links to profile pages of people you were following or that were following you? We may be able to locate your account by looking at athletes you were linked to.

2. Do you have any emails from Strava that have a link to an activity of yours? This may be an email about a friend giving you a kudo or comment.

3. Was your account upgraded to Premium? If so, we may be able to locate the original transaction and use that to find your account.

4. Have you tried Googling your profile name + Strava? (Example: "Johnny Appleseed Strava"). Google does store web urls for a period of time, and you may be able to find a link to your profile page this way.

Keep in mind that if your account has been deleted, you will not be able to access the profile page from a link, but it will allow us to locate the account and restore it.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
From Garmin:-

Dear Alan,
I'm sorry to hear of the mishap. Unfortunately there is no way to change the privacy settings in Garmin Connect in bulk, the only settings there are are specific to individual activities, or only apply to new activities, not retroactively to all saved activities. I have therefore forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested in customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions.

We also have a portal for customers to submit ideas directly to our innovation experts. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: http://www.garmin.com/ideas

Kind regards,

Loek

Garmin Europe

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
From Garmin:-

Dear Alan,
I'm sorry to hear of the mishap. Unfortunately there is no way to change the privacy settings in Garmin Connect in bulk, the only settings there are are specific to individual activities, or only apply to new activities, not retroactively to all saved activities. I have therefore forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested in customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions.

We also have a portal for customers to submit ideas directly to our innovation experts. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: http://www.garmin.com/ideas

Kind regards,

Loek

Garmin Europe

"Sorry we can't help you, but if you'd like to help us, here's the link..." *Garmin*

That's....an awful lot of miles on a bike! Hope you get it sorted @AlanW

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Its all back........:wahhey:

Just a couple of minor niggles, lost all my KOMs and have to start again with following / follow requests and re-joining clubs etc, but hey, the important data is all back that's the main thing! Okay there "might" be one or two rides missing, but overall I'm chuffed to bloody conkers. :thumbsup:

And the other minor problem, all the ride data has all come back as being marked "private" now and Strava say there is no way to bulk set them all back to being "open". But on the plus side you can view 20 activities at a time and it is just a case of just unticking a box. Its taken me 1 1/2hours this morning to do a 1000 rides, so only another 3000+ rides to do and then I'm back near enough to where I was pre delete account status!

I've had to create a new Strava account and then they loaded all the old data onto that, so many thanks to Strava for:

a) doing it in the first place.

b) doing it so quickly for me.

Right then, where's me bike........
:bicycle:

Happy Christmas every one :cheers:

Top Bottom