Oh noes - RUST!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

My beloved 12 year-old, 80k miler, C1 has suddenly sprouted a visible rust-spot!

20230830_125341.jpg

Thing is - I've never owned a car old enough to think about rust, so don't know what the best way to treat it should be. Yes I know she's old, but I want to keep her in reasonable fettle as long as possible. I appreciate am panicking here, but we once had a very good Rover 214 that died effectively due to unseen rusting around the sun-roof - by the time it was found it was too expensive to get repaired in a proper way and it was the death knell to what was a very good runner.

So folks - how should I tackle this early to stop it spreading - cosmetic perfection is second to overall longevity!

Cheers
FF (distraught of Crediton)

tyred

Legendary Member
The simple, but definitely not cosmetic perfection version, is to just sand it back to bare metal, maybe treat it with Hammerite Kurust or similar and then touch it in with a small brush and some blue paint.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Dears

My beloved 12 year-old, 80k miler, C1 has suddenly sprouted a visible rust-spot!

View attachment 704616

Thing is - I've never owned a car old enough to think about rust, so don't know what the best way to treat it should be. Yes I know she's old, but I want to keep her in reasonable fettle as long as possible. I appreciate am panicking here, but we once had a very good Rover 214 that died effectively due to unseen rusting around the sun-roof - by the time it was found it was too expensive to get repaired in a proper way and it was the death knell to what was a very good runner.

So folks - how should I tackle this early to stop it spreading - cosmetic perfection is second to overall longevity!

Cheers
FF (distraught of Crediton)

1. Take it to a garage that does bodywork. Get them to check the whole car for rust and give you a price to make good.

2. Rub it down to bare metal. Undercoat, smooth, paint.

3. Ignore it if its not in a structural area.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's bubbled up so the corrosion might have gone further than you can see. Remove it all with a rotary wire brush until back to bright metal, rust treatment and then fill with some David's Isopon (my great friend in my yoof was Bernard David) . Sand it down and then a rattle can. Okay for a few more years unless those duplicitous froggies want to take more revenge for Brexit in the form of more rust in other parts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also being a C1' Aygo check underneath, especially the rear suspension components and where the arm mounts to the car. I rust treated and undercoated our Aygo when we got it a couple of years ago as previous owners hadn't taken much care.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit difficult to deal with rust underneath but you might get by with axle stands, some goggles and face mask. Have to be on your back of course but Michelangelo managed it in the Sistine Chapel (painting not rust removal).

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Bit difficult to deal with rust underneath but you might get by with axle stands, some goggles and face mask. Have to be on your back of course but Michelangelo managed it in the Sistine Chapel.

That's what I did over the summer with my 17 y/o Yaris. Coated with rust converter, red oxide primer and a coat of underseal. It will slow down the inevitable for a few years. Just keep an eye on it and deal with any new rust appearing.

The reality is that they rust from the inside out, as I found out with my beloved 27 y/o Peugeot.

Top Bottom