Oh the joy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We stayed recently at a place where the bb was significantly faster than we get at home and - crucially - more reliable. "Why isn't ours like this?" "Why can't we get proper broadband?" "How come Maz can afford decent broadband but we can't?" De blah, de blah, de blah. :blink:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm looking after our Mum all next week at my sister's house. She has recently had full fibre installed. ^_^ Although for everyday use, when I was there for 3 days a couple of weeks ago, I didn't notice any difference to my home which just has fibre and a mesh network. Perhaps it is noticeable when my nephews are gaming and my BiL is trying to do his software engineering stuff.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
On holiday in Wales last week at a working farm with 3 self catering cottages on the ground.

WIFI in property turned out to be WIFI in the owners house which you had to sit outside of on a picnic bench to receive said WIFI.

Scandalous!!!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've just upgraded from a 28K to a 56K modem :becool:

The first modem I ever used was 110.
Just to be clear, not 110k, but 110 ! We had access to a mainframe computer when we were doing some programming in the sixth form.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The first modem I ever used was 110.
Just to be clear, not 110k, but 110 ! We had access to a mainframe computer when we were doing some programming in the sixth form. View attachment 604877
The first modem I used wasn't even a modem... This was in the pre-Internet days.

We had access to Warwick university's computer but we had to physically take our Algol programs over there on cards which we had punched using a hand punch at school!

You really learn the meaning of 'slow' when you have to share a hand punch with 20 other pupils, wait a week to go over in the school minibus to hand your punched cards to the computer operators, then go back a week later to pick up the cards and a printout usually saying something like 'Syntax error, line 3'! :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The first modem I used wasn't even a modem... This was in the pre-Internet days.

We had access to Warwick university's computer but we had to physically take our Algol programs over there on cards which we had punched using a hand punch at school!

You really learn the meaning of 'slow' when you have to share a hand punch with 20 other pupils, wait a week to go over in the school minibus to hand your punched cards to the computer operators, then go back a week later to pick up the cards and a printout usually saying something like 'Syntax error, line 3'! :laugh:

More than 50 years ago. Happy days.

Top Bottom