Oh the joy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mine is 70-75 Mb/s, here is 3 to 4. Not unusable, just a bit sloooow...
Fibre is not yet available from my local green cabinet so I am still on 15-16 Mb/s download speed (about 0.75 Mb/s upload). That is okay for me because I am the only one using it and I don't do much uploading.

If I ever get round to uploading to YouTube, doing online backups etc. then I would really want the upload speed to be at least 15-20 Mb/s, but preferably much higher.

Fibre broadband availability should arrive for me at around the same time as my state pension, and that will be one of the first luxuries that I spend my pension on.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
we have fibre and get around 15-20 due to distance to the exchange, no fibre optic cables either so thats as good as it gets .FIL lives half a mile away and gets around 80.
i used to get 3-4 on normal broadband before that

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've just upgraded from a 28K to a 56K modem :becool:

The first modem I ever used was 110.
Just to be clear, not 110k, but 110 ! We had access to a mainframe computer when we were doing some programming in the sixth form.

The first modem I used wasn't even a modem... This was in the pre-Internet days.

We had access to Warwick university's computer but we had to physically take our Algol programs over there on cards which we had punched using a hand punch at school!

You really learn the meaning of 'slow' when you have to share a hand punch with 20 other pupils, wait a week to go over in the school minibus to hand your punched cards to the computer operators, then go back a week later to pick up the cards and a printout usually saying something like 'Syntax error, line 3'! :laugh:

Algol - luxury ! We used to dream of Algol. I was reduced to Fortran 4 at uni which doesn't even have proper looping structures or if then else blocks and you have to use gotos.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
The first modem I ever used was 110.
Just to be clear, not 110k, but 110 ! We had access to a mainframe computer when we were doing some programming in the sixth form.

Algol - luxury ! We used to dream of Algol. I was reduced to Fortran 4 at uni which doesn't even have proper looping structures or if then else blocks and you have to use gotos.
You appear to be in danger of forgetting the English language. Go home and stroke a kitten.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ah, but there's the rub, I don't wear cycling shoes...So in this context, wellies.

You wear wellies to cycle? You are Compo in Last of the Summer Wine.

icowden

Veteran
The first modem I used wasn't even a modem... This was in the pre-Internet days.
We had access to Warwick university's computer but we had to physically take our Algol programs over there on cards which we had punched using a hand punch at school!
You really learn the meaning of 'slow' when you have to share a hand punch with 20 other pupils, wait a week to go over in the school minibus to hand your punched cards to the computer operators, then go back a week later to pick up the cards and a printout usually saying something like 'Syntax error, line 3'! :laugh:
Nice. My dad did that Algol punch card stuff...

I live way out in the country. I get my internet from a thing attached to a water tower :biggrin:

Here is my speeds:

Mbps download
Mbps upload

Luckily, I can use my Verizon hot spot on the phone and it's way faster.

Top Bottom