Oh what have l done now !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
But you can repair them. Takes a bit longer and a bit of patience, but can be done.

A sharp blade to cut the stiches once you've located the hole, then pull out the tube and apply a normal patch. Then tuck it back in and use waxed thread (carpet thread) to sew the tyre back. You'll need a thimble to push the needle through.
Knowing my luck l would get to the sewing stage and then stick the needle through the tube....back to square one !
What would you say is a reasonable pressure for these tyres, they're nothing special, Continental Giro but l don't want to ruin them or me through ignorance ?

Knowing my luck l would get to the sewing stage and then stick the needle through the tube....back to square one !
What would you say is a reasonable pressure for these tyres, they're nothing special, Continental Giro but l don't want to ruin them or me through ignorance ?
You'll have to answer that question yourself since it is a function of your weight and riding conditions. Optimal pressure is a zone between just enough to prevent most pinch flats but not so high that your teeth rattle. Many of us can't even express our own favourite pressure on any scale, we just feel it by thumb.

Sharky

Guru
The sewing bit is fairly safe. Push the needle from the inside of one side to the outside then cross over to the other side and repeat inside to outside. There's probably a name for this stitch, my Mum might have known. In all the ones I repaired, never did I put the needle through the inner tube. Even repaired a couple on the roadside when my spare tubs also failed.

Never had a pressure gauge when I rode tubs. Just pumped them as hard as I could before a race, with the inferior hand pumps I used to use in those days.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The sewing bit is fairly safe. Push the needle from the inside of one side to the outside then cross over to the other side and repeat inside to outside. There's probably a name for this stitch, my Mum might have known. In all the ones I repaired, never did I put the needle through the inner tube. Even repaired a couple on the roadside when my spare tubs also failed.

Never had a pressure gauge when I rode tubs. Just pumped them as hard as I could before a race, with the inferior hand pumps I used to use in those days.
Sound advice , many thanks !

Top Bottom