Oh what Next!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meirion658

I currently have a Spesh Allez with the sora/Tigra groupset. I bought the bike through the cycle scheme and I am coming up to my final payment very soon. As the scheme only allows me to spend up to £1000 a carbon bike is out of the question as I am not allowed to pay the difference. (Gutted)
So my Question is what would you change on the bike to enhance performance and make the bike lighter etc. Things I am looking at is a change of groupset to 105/Ultergra, New wheels but don’t know where to start on this one or open to any suggestions.

jamesxyz

Meirion658 said:
As the scheme only allows me to spend up to £1000 a carbon bike is out of the question as I am not allowed to pay the difference. .

1. There are a few Carbon bikes for under a grand (ribble, Planet X etc) although you may want better than 105 spec for that money
2. You might be able to negotiate with a particular LBS - mine qouted the bike as £1000 but I paid the difference unbeknown to the scheme.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the first things to upgrade should be the wheels. You can get some really nice wheels at good price with a fair amount of weight advantage. On my Roubaix I changed the Mavics it came with for Eastons with a saving of 400g. The Crankset is also a good one to change. 105/Ultegra will weigh a good deal less then the Tiagra and Sora sets.

beancounter

Meirion658 said:
So my Question is what would you change on the bike to enhance performance and make the bike lighter etc. Things I am looking at is a change of groupset to 105/Ultergra, New wheels but don’t know where to start on this one or open to any suggestions.

I may have misunderstood, but were you planning to do these upgrade through the Cyclescheme?

As far as I know you're not allowed to buy just components through the Cyclescheme.

bc

OP
OP
Meirion658

Meirion658

Just spoken to Cycle Scheme and you are right gutted mmmmm guess I ill just have to start putting some cash away.

Now that has put a spanner in the works which parts of the bike would you first upgrade and why and to what?

Cheers

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If you're wanting to purchase another bike on C2W - if it's over £1000 it's not usually a problem- just speak to the LBS and you pay the difference to the LBS and they write down the value as £1000. If you want to upgrade I'd agree with Ian above but it'll be harder to get it through C2W unless your employer is pretty lax and won't check but I wouldn't rely on that

Long term you want to look towards getting a bike that has a bit of life in it.

Short term - new wheels either lightweight or aero.

Medium term - Ultegra groupset components esp B/B and crankset as the weight savings really help.

Long term - new frame.

The upgrades will only work as much as the frame allows but they will be noticeable.

OP
OP
Meirion658

Meirion658

Thanks for that so looking at the short term anyone can give me advice/tips on a good pair of wheels budget wise i could manage approx £200 for the pair or is that a bit OTT for the frame that i have?

ttcycle said:
If you're wanting to purchase another bike on C2W - if it's over £1000 it's not usually a problem- just speak to the LBS and you pay the difference to the LBS and they write down the value as £1000. If you want to upgrade I'd agree with Ian above but it'll be harder to get it through C2W unless your employer is pretty lax and won't check but I wouldn't rely on that

+1

I know we have been here before, but I did as TT says above and paid extra to my LBS, no questions asked.
As for components, I have not done that myself but I am certainly aware of some colleagues buying wheels etc. Again it was done between them and the LBS.

Wheels users fall into 2 camps - the handbuilt wheel users and factory wheel users.

I use factory wheels as I find them stiffer and lighter - which translates into better performance at a slight cost as regards comfort. For a decent pair at £200 you should be looking at a lightly used second hand pair on eBay - Mavic Ksyrium,Campag Zonda or Fulcrum Racing 3's. They retail at £350-400 new.

They will be ok with the frame you have -and you will notice the difference.

Top Bottom