Oil - how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
I use Finish Line Wet Lube for my bike. I think I've been putting too much on the chain after I clean and degrease as there is still some residual oil drops on the part of the frame next to the chain (I don't know what this is called but you'll probably all know what I mean). I also get an oil mark on my right calf. Am I putting too much oil on and, if so, what is the correct amount to put on and how do I know I'm putting the correct amount on?

Thanks in advance

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Search the Mickle Method and all will be explained. ^_^

Tangoup51

As above, one drop per link. Your goal is to coat each link with a drop, but it takes fine practice to really modulate the best amount.

I personally slowly pedal the chain after lubing, to allow it to seep in to the links properly. Then allow 5 minutes for it to dry. Then begin pedalling again for a minute, wipe off all excess oil by running your chain through a cloth two-three times. Then you should be set.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get an old floor hand brush and wash the chain thoroughly with hot soapy water then dry it by pulling it through a towel or micro-fibre cloth. Then re-lube, pedal a bit and wipe off the excess.

Top Bottom