Oil out of clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
not sure if this is where to ask but what do you use to get oil out of clothing. Ive a red british cycling jacket eith black oil on it and it wont come out in the wash, im tempted to try some muc off and a scrubbing brush before putting it back in the wash

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wear it with pride.

WD40 is good for removing oil from clothes (and bikes)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
not sure if this is where to ask but what do you use to get oil out of clothing. Ive a red british cycling jacket eith black oil on it and it wont come out in the wash, im tempted to try some muc off and a scrubbing brush before putting it back in the wash
I've used degreaser and a nailbrush before to good effect - but before the wash. It may work afterwards but I suspect there'll be more brushing needed because washing it seems to only spread and lightening it a little.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Used my spare toothbrush on the bike to get some dog poo out the front mech, the only oil free brush is my actual toothbrush... Oh well here it goes lol

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Almost. Swarfega will emulsify the oil and is kind to skin, fabrics and carpets.
You remove the emulsion with soapy water.
Any water beading treatment is destroyed so will need Nikwaxing if required.
Good point. BTW, if you are not worried about waterproofing, isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is also pretty good. Don't fiddle about with small bottles of the stuff. You need to soak the stain, not dab it. You can get a litre of it for about £10 from electronics suppliers like CPC.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc104/ipa-solvent-1-litre-tin/dp/SA01885

Top Bottom