Oil Slick! Battersea Park roundabout leading onto Chelsea Bridge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
If you check cyclechat before heading out today, watch out for this one.

Went round the roundabout (as you do) and saw a cyclist ahead go down. Wasn't certain of the cause as that wasn't my primary focus at the time. Carried on round intending to pull over and see if he was ok, suddenly spotted the oil and knew I'd be joining him on the deck. Luckily neither of us were going fast, just a bit of road rash and a bruise or two. Even at a slow speed there's no chance of staying upright on that, very slick.

Fear we might not be the only ones falling victim to this today. Just hope nobody ends up under a car. Seriously dodgy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Did you phone the fire service on 999? They are apparently best placed to deal with diesel and other spills.

Octet

Veteran
Did you phone the fire service on 999? They are apparently best placed to deal with diesel and other spills.

I agree, either the Highway Agency or the Fire Brigade (not sure whether it would be classified as an 'emergency' though. Might be better to call the non-emergency number?)

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. Rang the highways agency, unfortunately they only deal with motorways. Forwarded me to TFL and I've filed a report which they're looking into.

Number to report a road hazard to TFL (from the customer services person):
0845 3051234

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Went round it this morning very fast and didn't have any issues. no oil to spot or other road users on their bums

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
about 8:50. And I got 10th on 'Along Battersea Park to Chelsea Bridge' on strava which includes the roundabout.

At that speed I'm v glad it wasn't an issue, guess I was unlucky. Congrats on the top 10! I was in 10th place for the subsequent 'Col du Chelsea Bridge' but a couple of eager beavers have knocked me back to 12th. I have my eye on your 'Bedford Hill- the hill bit' time, Gaz. Just need a couple more mph :tongue:

Top Bottom