Oil Stain in Merino Wool jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not exactly metal-parts-related, but nonetheless technical IMHO.....

I have a Rapha CC jersey, pink, cream and brown, that has become quite grubby with use, but also has some ground in oil stains from mucky fingers etc.

The washing instructions say cold wash, do not iron, do not dry clean etc etc...... but I think that's unlikely to get rid of the stains.....

I'm terrified of ruining my prize jersey.... can anyone suggest a way of getting the grubbiness out of it ?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
When I've got oil stains in my beloved Rapha tops the wife comes to the rescue with some stain remover stuff she keeps for such emergencies under the sink. First she sprays the stain with Vanish pre wash stain remover and adds Ariel stain remover to the washing machine. Bung it on a 30 degree wash and it works every time.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Believe it or not WD40 is pretty good at removing oil stains (although I've not tried it on Merino). Spray the stain with WD40, give it a rub then stick it straight away into warm water with your detergent of choice and scrub away. The WD40 solvents release the dried on oil, and then the detergent cleans off the WD40 and the oil stain goes with it.

hoski

Veteran
Have you tried rubbing a little bit of liquid detergent (or washing up liquid) directly into the oil stains before popping it into the wash? Works better with fresher oil stains but it might help and not risk mucking up the fabric?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I washed a lovely oiled wool Norwegian jumper, the only one I've ever been given, in the university launderette's washing machine.... sadly it got the jumper really clean, but it was also two foot wider and one foot shorter.

Well, I did the deed last night with Morrisons own brand oxi-clean stain remover..... 30 minute soak in warm water, then into the washer on a 40deg "wool" wash.... seems to have not ruined the jersey, and removed most (if not all) of the stain...... perhaps I'll repeat the process on the next wash and it'll get the smudgy remains out......
My reluctance to tinker with it comes from a university-time experience when my best mate managed to turn his prize jersey into an Action Man size garment by forgetting it was in the wash bag when he flung all in the uni's washer/dryer. I can still see the crestfallen look on his face when it came thudding and steaming gently onto the tiles.......... oh dear....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Not exactly metal-parts-related, but nonetheless technical IMHO.....

I have a Rapha CC jersey, pink, cream and brown, that has become quite grubby with use, but also has some ground in oil stains from mucky fingers etc.

The washing instructions say cold wash, do not iron, do not dry clean etc etc...... but I think that's unlikely to get rid of the stains.....

I'm terrified of ruining my prize jersey.... can anyone suggest a way of getting the grubbiness out of it ?
You need a time machine and a bottle of this:
white-lightning-clean-ride8-med.jpg

Top Bottom