OK, am ready to change the brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I have bought some new pads for my disc brakes (Shimano BR-M416A, Mechanical Disc on a Scott P55) because I think they're worn out.

I can see a split pin type affair - do I just bend that with a pair of pliers and slide it out and then bend it back after? After that, the pads come out right? Am guessing I loosen the pads with an allen key (using the adjuster screw) before starting? And can I do it without removing the whole brake mechanism from the bike?

Any tips more than welcome.

While I'm on... how long do these pads usually last? The ones on are as supplied with the bike so they've done only 1,200 miles. I guess it's a function of speed, my weight, amount of braking (obviously) but 1,200 miles doesn't seem much in comparison to, say, a car.

thanks

Phil

potsy

Rambler
Bike parts don't compare to cars for longevity,
Tyres 2000+ miles compared with 20,000+ for cars
Brake pads maybe 1000+ for bike and 30,000+ for cars

No advice about changing disc pads as I only have rim brakes,next bike will have them though so I'll read any replies with interest.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
OK, I went in.....

No need to remove the brake assembly; just the wheel and the brake cable. Am sure most of you know the drill but I'm quietly pleased with myself and Potsy was interested so here it is:

1. Removed wheel
  2. Slackened the pads right off with the adjuster
  3. Removed the brake cable
  4. Bent the split pin ends to get it out.
  5. Pads then just pulled out
  6. Popped new pads in, on the springy bracket thing that's supplied (just copying how the old ones were)
  7. Replaced split pin
  8. Cleaned disc-rotor (with cleaning towel supplied with pads)
  9. Replaced cable
  10. Replaced wheel
  11. Adjusted pads (opposite of 2)
  12. Job's a good un :smile:
This is much easier than messing with rim blocks, IMHO.

One lesson learned though; not to listen to the LBS for it was they who sold me the new pads because they "could see my old ones were worn out". The old ones have a LOT of wear left in them (I confirmed that at an alternative LBS). Not to worry, at least I have spares.

cheers

P

Top Bottom