Ok back 'er up, bit more, bit more aaannnd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Already posted I'm afraid on the Parking Champoinship thread

Maz

Guru
Not content with flying aircraft into tall buildings, Al-Qaeda go one step further...

We had something a bit like that at our workplace, about a year or two ago. Nothing so thrilling, I'm afraid! Story goes, guy at work (one of the cleaners) has a mega-bust-up with his GF. Stomps into the car park in a red mist, gets into his car which is parked up against the building, and instead of putting it in forward gear puts it into reverse, then floors it. Accidentally. At least, that was the official story (never did hear what became of the guy, he wasn't around much after then).

Result: impressive dent in the brickwork, and heaps of rubble in the office on other side of that wall. The whole room had to be put out of bounds until the builders were brought in. Strangely, the damage only extended up as far as the window line, the floor above wasn't affected. Shows how strong lintels are.

I have no photos alas!

Norm

Mystery because, as far as I can see, there is absolutely no damage on the back of the Merc.

Edit: hmm... ok, maybe some damage above the right hand exhaust pipe, but very little damage considering they went through a wall backwards.

Shows, perhaps, how some cars are built like battle tanks and their robustness is a selling point. Come to think of it, I never heard how much damage my colleague's car sustained, but story goes that he drove away....

And woe unto the poor cyclist who happens to be in the way when one of these crates goes into reverse - accidentally?! I don't give him a prayer of a chance...:rofl:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The backs of cars are considerably stronger than the fronts, which are designed to collapse progressively absorbing impacts. I once got rear-ended on the M1 in my 3 day-old Golf by a Mercedes, which shunted me into the back of a builder's van. The front of the Merc just exploded all over the place, my Golf had a small dent in the rear sill and my bonnet and grille were smashed to pieces while the builder's van was unmarked. Behind the innocuous plastic rear bumper of the Golf there is a huge steel girder.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Norm said:
Mystery because, as far as I can see, there is absolutely no damage on the back of the Merc.

Edit: hmm... ok, maybe some damage above the right hand exhaust pipe, but very little damage considering they went through a wall backwards.

Hmmmm. I think you're right. There would be more damage than that - it looks like set up but there were cars damaged underneath.

Top Bottom