OK to mix tyre widths?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingstonBiker

I had to replace my rear 25mm tyre at short notice as it had worn and I spotted it started to deform when pumping it up. The only tyre I had to hand was a 23mm.

So now my front is a 700x25 and the rear 700x23. I have another matching 700x23 which I could stick on the front if needed. However the front tyre is still fine.

Should I swap things around? I travel around 150 miles per week.

Recommendations?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I doubt you'd notice any real difference.

You may want to switch front to rear to have the bigger tyre under the most weight, for comfort, but it should make no real difference.

Sheldon does a good piece:
Mixing/Matching Tires

Most bikes come with identical tires front and rear. This is all right for general use, but if you want to optimize your bike, you should consider using different tires front and rear. The front and rear tires have different loadings and different requirements.
  • Narrower Front, Wider Rear

If lightness is the primary goal, tire width/weight is limited by the risk of pinch cut flats, a.k.a. "snake bites." Since there is more weight carried on the rear tire, you can get away with a slightly narrower tire in front than you can in back.
  • Wider Front, Narrower Rear

A wider front tire makes sense in many applications, however, when handling and ride comfort are considered. A wider tire will generally provide better cornering traction than a narrower one, assuming appropriate inflation pressure.
    A wider tire also provides superior shock absorbency. I personally prefer a slightly wider tire in front, since I suffer from some wrist discomfort on occasion.
Personally several times I've run the bigger on the back, I think it allows for a more comfortable ride. I was riding a 22mm front, 24mm rear but in agreement with Sheldon I was getting more pinches than usual but I've ran 23mm front, 25mm rear before no problem.

Edit: I also like to go with the new tyre on the front, following this logic.

The commuter has a 23mm Durano+ on the rear and a 32mm gatorskin on the front, due to a wider rim when I fitted a dynohub . Can't say I've really noticed much difference, which could just as easily be explained by the different compounds. Reading some of the comments on here on gatorskins performance in the wet has made me a little nervous of them though.

Jezston

Über Member
I used to ride my hybrid with a semi knobbly 37 on the front and a slick 25 on the rear! Handled dirty towpaths like a dream ;)

You'll be fine.

OP
OP
K

KingstonBiker

Thanks for the useful responses. As I've got a spare new 23mm, and possibly a spare 5 mins this weekend, I'll stick it on the front.

Blue

Legendary Member
I doubt you'd notice any real difference.

You may want to switch front to rear to have the bigger tyre under the most weight, for comfort, but it should make no real difference.
+1

Indeed, one tyre maker, Conti, I think, sells sets of tyres of differing sizes for TT's.

Blue

Legendary Member
I forgot to mention, I ran a 23/25 combo once, for similar reasons, and neither noticed any real difference nor had any problems.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Just to confirm....we're talking about 2 mm of rubber right ?

Top Bottom