old biker . . . .. make that very old biker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

When it comes to buying clothing I'm definitely at the cheap end of the scale - some good for the money items can be picked up from LiDL or ALDI cycling specials (there's an ALDI one next Thursday), or from the nearby Decathlon (there's one in Thurrock I believe - a bit closer to London than you probably want to go to. After that, I've tended to pick stuff up on the web - I've found DHB's stuff from Wiggle pretty good for the money.

Thank you for the reply i will check these places out thanks.

There's also a Cycles UK shop very near to me - I agree, there's not much choice for clothing.

Yes one at Basildon too but not a very big selection though.

Another point about riding out of the gutter is that you're closer to the driver's line of sight. This stops them regarding you as nothing more than roadside street furniture and makes them have to change line a little to overtake. You're then more like traffic.

Now this makes a lotta sense and i guess being out further your seen more than being
too close to the kerb and look more like your part of the hedges etc, that is very
helpful and i do see that you have to been seen and be part of the traffic i find if i keep
in the cars want to pass you without going over the centre line and for some reason
they seem to not want to cross that middle line, i tried this yesterday and found most
and nearly all overtook me much further away it seems when they have to cross the line
then they go way over it more. thanks . . .

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

When you said 'Biker', I thought you meant one of these ;) :welcome:

bugs_teeth.jpg

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

No those were the days when i had motor bikes in the 50s to the 80s, now it is pedal power
for me, but i still look at some of these tasty motor bikes about especialy the Triumphs i had
quite a few of them bonnevilles etc,, oh well i gotta just keep padaling now i guess. . . . .
thanks for the welcome . . ..

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Diggs

Veteran
Hi @rebelpeter and welcome. Not sure where exactly you are in Essex, there is a bike shop now in Billericay but I do get the distinct impression they are there to shift shiny race replica bling to city workers for the weekend rather than to service the local community as a LBS. If you want a range as mentioned before, Decathlon Lakeside is the best bet and there's an Evans nearby as well.

cd365

Guru
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned it but I believe the Cyclecraft book is a good read, this will teach you about road positioning etc.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Hi @rebelpeter and welcome. Not sure where exactly you are in Essex, there is a bike shop now in Billericay but I do get the distinct impression they are there to shift shiny race replica bling to city workers for the weekend rather than to service the local community as a LBS. If you want a range as mentioned before, Decathlon Lakeside is the best bet and there's an Evans nearby as well.

i am near burnham on crouch, billericay huh maybe worth a look thanks for that, and i amm going to lakeside soon as sounds ideal many thanks for thre reply . . .

Top Bottom