Old Carlton Race Bike...Advice Pls...updated, bought dawes response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Carlton bikes are generally pretty good. The frame on this one is nothing special but it looks like it has been restored well.
Carlton became part of Raleigh many years ago.
Centre pull brakes are very good when correctly set up and adjusted, the suicide bars should really only be used for slowing down, they are notoriously bad at stopping, particularly in the wet, even with alloy wheels. With steel wheels in the wet forget it.
Generally it looks a good bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @midlife
@bladesman73 I have a few that could fit the bill or road bike or a nice mtb ?

If you fancy a nice mtb then how about a Bob Jackson full Reynolds 531 frame ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a good selection of steel road bikes if you are ever passing Northamptonshire ?

Bikes by Hardisty, J F Wilson , Mottram and a few others
Sid Mottram never made a frame, the cheaper bikes frames were just bought in but the better frames were built by Mercian in Derby.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Viewed the carlton and wasnt sure about it. Bloke didnt seem to have a clue about parts, upgrades it has had etc so felt it wasnt right. Ended up getting this, dawes response, just given it a full clean and degrease, needs new brake and gear cables, new chain and cassette, bar tape and i need to find some gumwall tyres so stuck some spare pzero's on for now (only tubes i had were long stems for my carbon wheels on my posh bike!). Frame is immaculate. Paid 150 quid for it. Does anyone know which year this would be from? I can only find dawes catalogues up to 1994 online and this version is not there?

Attachments

• 20201011_150619.jpg
    20201011_150619.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom