Old claud butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamDoherty

I've got an old claud butler bike it's around the 1940 -50s maybe I tried getting the seriel number off it but no luck. Because when my grandad bought it over 30 years ago. I've just found it had been sprayed a gold champagne colour and the original colour is red and blue. I'm wanting to restore it. It's my first and does anyone now what model it could be and how much they are worth roughly when restored. Thanks Sam

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
SamDoherty lucky boy , need pics to help as a lot will depend on equipment on bike along with tubing type and style .

soo we need pics please

porteous

Veteran
You should be able to date it from the componants used. Look here for you derailleur model:
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Cyclo_Gear_Company_derailleurs.html. It looks like a sachs huret, which would date it 1980 or later, which probably means it is a later addition. Some componants are also stamped with manufacurers code dates. Go by the oldest bits and try and find two with close manufacture dates (hubs often have this)

Once you have a rough idea of the year(s) have a look at the catalogues here:
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/ There is a 1975 CB cat with colour and frame details. (The blue under your gold paint looks quite like the blue they are describing as a "new colour" in the 76 cat., although by then all the bikes have cotterless chain sets, so yours would appear to be earlier than 1976.

What its worth sepends on how well you restore it and what anyone wants to pay on the day.

CBs were normally always made with good lightweight tube, I wouldn't get too excited about 531, but the catalogues shoiuld help here too. As has been said, weight of the frame is a good guide.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
S

SamDoherty

Yess it has a claud butler badge on the front of the bike but it is really hard to see anything because it's been sprayed gold. It's not that heavy either it's abouts 2-3kgs. As you can see i think it used to be red or blue.

Goldie

Über Member
Could you stick some pictures up of:
- the rear brake bridge
- the head tube lugs and the Claud Butler badge
- the top of the seat tube, where the chain stay join it
- the fork crown

These'll really help narrow down the age and model.

Is there another serial number anywhere on the bike? The one on the bottom bracket shell looks like a number for the shell itself rather than the bike.The top of the fork - where it runs inside the headtube - might be worth a look. This http://www.nkilgariff.com/ is a brilliant Claud resource - have a root through the catalogues and see if you can find your bike.

OP
OP
S

SamDoherty

I've found it it's a 1967 sapphire, Reynolds 531 frame and I'm going to make it original colours and everything originial. Does anyone now the price of one of these restored good ?

GUY13

i have a 1950-1960 claud butler in British racing green, it has the olympic claud butler badge on the front and its in good condition. can anyone give me anymore info? thanks

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
i have a 1950-1960 claud butler in British racing green, it has the olympic claud butler badge on the front and its in good condition. can anyone give me anymore info? thanks

You can't go far wrong with a flick through the old catalogues here : http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Specifically start with the lugs, seat stays and fork bridge for getting a model ID.

My first proper road bike was a CB. It was my 14th birthday present but I have no idea what model it was. From memory and we are talking 1971/72 it was very yellow possibly with some white and had a 5 speed Campag drivetrain and Weinemann centre pull brakes that' about all I can remember. Used to ride around Fordingbridge, area to visit friends and used to muscle it up Blissford Hill. Any ideas of model?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've found it it's a 1967 sapphire, Reynolds 531 frame and I'm going to make it original colours and everything originial. Does anyone now the price of one of these restored good ?

any Claud Butler 's normally fetch good money dont over do the restore and take all its originality away please

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you are doing the restoration in the hope of making some money I am afraid you will be disappointed. A job like this is a labour of love for most as the plainer more common models don't fetch big money. A rarer type might be a different matter.

Top Bottom