Old disc/drum brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hi,

I foudn a very strange old disc/strap brake this week. We visited my daughter in France this week. She's working at Eurocamp, where she was riding an old decathlon France bike, reclaimed I think when a visitor threw it, as she finds the site bikes are too large. It was in astonishingly poor condition, broken/disconnected front brake and almost no rear, everything loose, the chain ring loose, bent and rubbing on the frame, levers solid, buckled wheels, dodgy gears etc. So I bought some tools (and parts) and serviced it.

The read brake was a covered solid metal disc attached to the wheel, maybe 1cm thick & 15cm diameter, with a thick strap around the edge, which when pulled tightened around the *edge* of the disc, braking the wheel (well it does now!).

They don't match the pictures of Drum brakes I've seen, and aren't disc brakes as we know them. I don't even know what to google to find out about them, and I'm very curious. Has anyone seen these.

Cheers
Steve

Drago

Legendary Member
You got any pics?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is one of those on the back of my trike so spare 'bands' should be available.
EDIT its just about visible in this photo off T'internet (Must get a digital camera) Its the goldy coloured thing in the centre of the axle.

kentex_24inch_tricycle.jpg

sidevalve

Über Member
Look on the net for band brake in early m/cycles - very similar itema were used in the early days of m/cycling [and even in motoring] I believe.

Top Bottom