Old Fart on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
One of the things I enjoy most about cycling is going on the occasional camping tour. Before the first lockdown I managed 3 or 4 moderate tours per year with one or both of my 'bike buddies'. however, since lockdown. one has developed other interests and no longer cycles on a regular basis, and the other flatly refuses to camp, although we do still ride together on a regular basis. I am considering a solo trip or two sometime later in the year but as a 76 year old I feel a little self concious about being a 'Billy no mates.' Are there any other older solo cycle/camping tourists and if so do you ever run into problems of any kind.
The reason I ask is because I honestly cannot recall ever meeting up with an older guy doing a solo camping trip.

OldShep

Über Member
im 6 years your junior and think it’s perfectly normal to go off on camping tours by myself. In 2019 I did a tour de Yorks and finished on the Scarborough > Whitby path and onwards to Glaisdale for a lift home. Met some great people en route but obviously not you ^_^

One of the things I enjoy most about cycling is going on the occasional camping tour. Before the first lockdown I managed 3 or 4 moderate tours per year with one or both of my 'bike buddies'. however, since lockdown. one has developed other interests and no longer cycles on a regular basis, and the other flatly refuses to camp, although we do still ride together on a regular basis. I am considering a solo trip or two sometime later in the year but as a 76 year old I feel a little self concious about being a 'Billy no mates.' Are there any other older solo cycle/camping tourists and if so do you ever run into problems of any kind.
The reason I ask is because I honestly cannot recall ever meeting up with an older guy doing a solo camping trip.
When looking for inspiration of a touring nature CrazyGuyOnABike.com is my first stop. That should let you know that you wouldn't be unique touring solo at your age. Hell, you wouldn't even be special^_^
YouTube might also be helpful. Facebook too, if that's your thing.

Travelling solo can make us feel self conscious - but that is just a feeling. How do you deal with negative feelings that crop up in normal life? Can the same strategies work here?
A bit of Mindfulness may be helpful to recognise and deal with negative feelings.

The flipside is that we're free!
I'm also of the opinion that solo it's far, far easier to connect with locals as I travel. People may be hesitant to approach a couple/group but a solo rider? Not so much.
A smile is probably the most important thing to carry for a solo tourist. People respond positively. And a Kindle.

I'm not in your age range but "problems of any kind" suggests you're casting the net wide looking for problems.
Perhaps your energies would be better spent working on the problem that you do have - being Billy no Mates?
Or is that just a heading? Maybe something else is the problem? Loneliness? A touch of anxiety about no backup? A fear of boredom?
Either find some new mates or pay attention to the language you use and become Billy the solo adventurer.

Ordinarily my advice for any Touring hesitancy is to just get out there and do it, preferably local. However, I'm thinking that in this case "doing it" might be better further away from home.
So ..... With absolutely no-one to please other than yourself what destination tickles your fancy? ^_^

Good luck!

I wouldn't feel self conscious about it.
Many folks seem to think that camping is just for young or poor folks, an attitude which I find somewhat sad.
So it's not altogether unusual that you don't know folks of your own age who appreciate it.
When you're out in nature just think of them staring at the tea making facilities in their rooms of an evening.

Baldy

Über Member
I always tour alone, other people are just so annoying. They want to stop when I want to go, when I stop they cycle off. If I find another more interesting route they've gone an stuck with the old boring one. When I'm on the right way they're away on some stupid diversion and people want to talk all the time. So annoying.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Are there any other older solo cycle/camping tourists and if so do you ever run into problems of any kind.
Yes, although I'm a decade-ish behind your experience. And yes, but then, just like in everyday life, nothing that can't be solved. Are there some kinds of problems that give you particular cause for concern?
I am considering a solo trip or two sometime later in the year but as a 76 year old I feel a little self concious about being a 'Billy no mates.'
'...a little self-conscious...' suggests you might be slightly more worried about how others perceive you, rather than actually being solo? But surely that's their problem, not yours?
Solo bike tourists are not as endangered a species as you might suggest ...
As Hobbes mentioned above, there's plenty of evidence of solo tourists in social spaces, including cycling forums. And out on tour, there's rarely a day goes by when I don't see another tourer, sometimes younger, but often older. It does of course depend on where you are and at what time of year.

Being slightly concerned about something you may never have done before is perfectly understandable, but in counterbalance, there's also a big bundle of positives, many of which the good folks above have outlined. So, on balance ... ?

grldtnr

I wouldn't feel self conscious about it.
Many folks seem to think that camping is just for young or poor folks, an attitude which I find somewhat sad.
So it's not altogether unusual that you don't know folks of your own age who appreciate it.
When you're out in nature just think of them staring at the tea making facilities in their rooms of an evening.
I just stare at the tea making facilities at my tent, or recline in the trike seat having a brew!
It's not unusual, some Welsh geezer sang, bet he never was alone tho'

T4tomo

Legendary Member
im 6 years your junior and think it’s perfectly normal to go off on camping tours by myself. In 2019 I did a tour de Yorks and finished on the Scarborough > Whitby path and onwards to Glaisdale for a lift home. Met some great people en route but obviously not you ^_^
Glaisdale - my birthplace! ^_^

Edit to add: and not normally a transport hub - I guess you had friends or family living / staying there.

Last edited:
I used to live just off the A6 in North Lancashire. As such it's on many people's LEJOG routes. So I'd see quite few people touring. I'd say there's a lot of retirees on touring bikes in groups, duos or on their own.

The most interesting guy was a scot with fully loaded bike plus fully loaded trailer and Scottish flags and a banner exclaiming who he was and that he's on tour. Obviously on his way home after a long tour judging by his long, straggly hair and beard. Seriously dishevelled like he'd been touring for more than a year. I do believe I've seen him passing through a few times over the years. Clean shaven heading south, dishevelled beard heading north!

I think age isn't the issue if you're fit and healthy but it's the solo aspect that might cause you issues if you're a social person. There's people who do amazing things alone. I knew a retired teacher who when younger used to spend the long summer holidays of travelling overseas. He went to South America wilderness with a bought mule and 6 weeks of supplies to climb new peaks. Whether exploring alone or climbing with a similar free spirit met in the wilds. He'd met many greats of exploration and was lifetime members of many outdoors bodies in UK and globally. I knew him in his 70s and despite having many health issues he was still ski touring, climbing then skiing down. Travelling to interesting places and generally living life of adventure.

There's probably people older than you doing what you want to. Give it a go. Nothing much lost if you don't enjoy it but it could be a whole new thing for you.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
When I used the term 'Billy no mates' perhaps it was a little misleading. I do have mates, only none of them are into camping/cycling anymore. Also I may have given the impression that I am worried when really, I am no more than curious as to what non cyclists think.
Thanks for your input folks, some interesting reading here.
Just for the record, I am hoping to have a few days touring a little after Easter visiting family en route.

Last edited:

oldleggs

Über Member
Well last time I toured was 3 years ago, but it was a month in France and majority of the time I was camping, I was then 69. I’ve cycled France 3 times on one occasion the First World War battlefields. I’ve cycled in Belgium Germany Austria Chec republic, Switzerland Croatia Slovenia. I’d say 95% of the time camping. I’m thinking of cycling in northern Spain April/May this year covid permitting, and I’ll be camping, so yeah go for it

Top Bottom