Old Frame & box of bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Isn't boredom a terrible thing ? I recently had a tumble off the bike and as a result I have been unable to ride for a number of weeks and as you can imagine I am bored out of my skull. Yesterday I acquired a
a Dawes frame which was in the early stages of being prepared for a respray and as a result, all the decals have been removed. The previous owner claims it to be a Galaxy but I doubt if I will ever be able to confirm it. The frame number appears to be RD5391 (the 'R' is indistinct). Along with the frame came a box with perhaps a little more than half the components to rebuild.I have never tackled a restoration project before so perhaps my days of boredom are over. I will post some pics later but in the meantime can I ask a couple of quick questions.
1 Which is better, powder coating or respray?
2 Are 27 inch wheels still available?
3 can any information be gleaned from the frame number.
I think the frame could date from the eighties, but that is only a guess.

1 Which is better, powder coating or respray?

A. Powder coating is more durable, painting is more accessible. I've done 3 complete resto's and each time have had them painted. One because I know a guy so the price is very right, and two because I've never had an issue with a painted finish.

2 Are 27 inch wheels still available?
A. YUP.

3 Can any information be gleaned from the frame number?

A. Dawes are difficult to identify as the company didn't keep records after a certain time it seems. Yours may be a 1991 frame though due the last two numbers you quoted.THIS might help.

Thanks for your quick response smokeysmoo

you may get more infor by including images or the word Dawes in the title.

there were a few Dawes threads a while ago, mine included - see avatar thing. start there and you should be able to piece stuff together.

good luck with the project and as i say, this needs Pics! ^_^

I still have the wheels that came on mine but they are a bit of a mess but you should be able to find the necessary without too much trouble.

Top Bottom