Old frame/V-brake compatibility.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Continuing the teething problems on our MTB/tourer rebuild, the front V-Brake moves slightly when braking. I can also waggle the arms backwards and forwards slightly with my finger.

It works effectively, but I don't seem to be able to make it sit right, despite tightening the screws. Is there a remedy to this, or is it a consequence of trying to fir V-brakes on an old MTB frame?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Try using another of the tree sets of holes in the fork ... you know what I mean? :whistle:
It was a bike mechanic that told me this trick for old V-brakes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is nearly always some play between the arms and bosses. They're not made to fine clearances as no brake manufacturer wants you to have a brake that doesn't slide onto the boss at all.

Try using another of the tree sets of holes in the fork ... you know what I mean? :whistle:
It was a bike mechanic that told me this trick for old V-brakes.

There is nearly always some play between the arms and bosses. They're not made to fine clearances as no brake manufacturer wants you to have a brake that doesn't slide onto the boss at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's helpful to know this wasn't some change in standards in the intervening years.

Some ot the wobble factor was traced to a lose headset. I've now tightened it and am wobble free. Only trouble now is i have to tug the handlebars to turn them...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Some ot the wobble factor was traced to a lose headset. I've now tightened it and am wobble free. Only trouble now is i have to tug the handlebars to turn them...

I would suggest that the headset is too tight , easy way to check is to lift the fr of the bike clear of the ground and the bars should turn to one side or the other by themselves if not slacken the headset off a bit

I would suggest that the headset is too tight , easy way to check is to lift the fr of the bike clear of the ground and the bars should turn to one side or the other by themselves if not slacken the headset off a bit

I'd agree with you there: I took it out for a test ride yesterday and my arms were aching when I got back.

I'll have a go tonight when I get back from work.

Top Bottom