Old Gents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
One of commuting routes takes me into a rural area popular with racers / club cyclists due to quiet & smooth roads.

In this area, I see plenty of mature gents - 50+ - and boy can they move.

On this morning's commute I saw an elderly chap wearing a flat cap, trousers tucked in socks, a little carradice saddle bag and he looked so eloquent, yet he was doing high twenties on a flat.

It looked like he was pootling where I was puffing and panting out of my ears to try and keep up.

dondare

Über Member
Moodyman said:
One of commuting routes takes me into a rural area popular with racers / club cyclists due to quiet & smooth roads.

In this area, I see plenty of mature gents - 50+ - and boy can they move.

On this morning's commute I saw an elderly chap wearing a flat cap, trousers tucked in socks, a little carradice saddle bag and he looked so eloquent, yet he was doing high twenties on a flat.

It looked like he was pootling where I was puffing and panting out of my ears to try and keep up.

Sounds a bit like me.

Debian

I very rarely get overtaken on my commute, in fact I can't remember the last time I was.

Surprising really, I'm certainly not superfast and I overtake plenty of other commuters.

Davidc

Guru
Not sure about the mature description - I'm 57, quite often have my trousers tucked in my socks, and if I'm feeling like it will do low 20s on the flat. Nothing unusual about it.

There's a group of retired cyclists (men and women) I've come across - Tiverton based I think - who've gone past me at mid 20s several times and who I've chatted to over coffee. They go out 3 or 4 times a week for a 50 to 60 mile ride together. They're all over 60 and presumably because they have the time to do that much riding are all fit and strong and fast.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Davidc said:
And many of us are definitely very immature as well!

Oh Hell...I've been rumbled....

D

Deleted member 1258

Shaun said:
Old gents at 50? :smile:

I shall be falling into that category myself later this year :boxing:

I am nearer 60 than 50, and I don't class myself as an "old gent"

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
saying 50+ is 'old chaps' country is just wrong.

Ooops. Does this mean I'm in for a tough time on Sunday's ride?

I hear old men on Brompton's can be quite swift.

jimboalee

The Solihull CC Thursday 'sporting' club run is organised by Mr Harry Reynolds.

The 'social' Thursday run is organised by the same chap who organises Solihull CC's Audax day, Mr Richard Law. He's retired and regularly rides AUK 300s.

These two rides are for the retired fraternity of the club and I've only been on one 'sporting' Thursday ride when I got a day off from work unexpectedly ( redundancy ).

They try to keep an 18 - 20 mph average, so cruising is in the mid 20s.

I just about get into the 'Old gents' bracket if the threshold is 50. I'm still building muscle to keep with the 'sporting' Thursday riders.

I was unfortunate to miss a mid week ride with Solihull and the Beacon with Dave Duffield.
I heared it was a fast event.... round the Malverns and back for afternoon tea.

Top Bottom