Old Gosport Railway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I was cycling up from the Gosport ferry to Fareham today along the old railway line.

I notice that work is going on in earnest on the road by the flyover at the top of Gosport Rd.

Does anyone know what they are doing? It seems that they are going to extend the path, but will it remain a share foot/cyclepath or are they going for the bus or tram option?

Also, how far up/down will the new route run?

I was cycling up from the Gosport ferry to Fareham today along the old railway line.

I notice that work is going on in earnest on the road by the flyover at the top of Gosport Rd.

Does anyone know what they are doing? It seems that they are going to extend the path, but will it remain a share foot/cyclepath or are they going for the bus or tram option?

Also, how far up/down will the new route run?

Bad News!

They are building a Rapid Bus Transit scheme from Military Road to Fareham. They have refused to allow cycle access to the route. Originally TROs were in place to cover the whole path to Gosport with a total ban on cycles and pedestrians.... Effectively removing this whole path.

After much arguing and campaigning the total ban on cycle access between Holbrook and Military lane, has been lifted, but pedestrians are still to be banned, this includes the pedestrian access to Brune Park School!

Edited - Sorry - here's the Link

Amongst other pleasures to await you are the closure of this path during building (so get used to the "double roundabout" as the only option) and the closure of Wych Lane / A32 junction whilst they fill the present "dip" to give a level road / BRT interface. This is about a year of closure.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I find it ironic that there is a picture of a cyclist in the banner image for the website!

Also, in the FAQ, the answer to the question "how can you ensure that only busses use this route" is that there will be CCTV and the route will be monitored by police .... AHEM ... do they really think that the Gosport "crew" on their BSOs are going to take any notice of that whatsoever? What are they going to do? Put up signs saying "busses only"? Like that makes all the difference to chavs on BSOs!

Who makes these decisions? Is it local council (i.e. the people who really know the area and the residents), or is it a boardroom of management-types up at Hampshire CC head office who have been to Gosport once in the last ten years??!!!

EDIT: Here's another little bit of madness. I quote: "encourage people who live further away from the route to cycle to the bus stops, park their bikes and then continue their journey using the bus" WTF??? It takes 15 minutes, maximum, to cycle from one end of the bus route to the other, so why the bejesus would anyone want to park their bike and take the bus??!!!!

EDIT 2: Oh, and here's another cheeky little number that they've popped in:

Q.2 Will the buses be more expensive to use than standard buses?

It is expected that the bus operator will charge similar fares for buses using the busway as for those on the local highway network.

Notice the use of the words "expected" and "similar".
whistling.gif

Top Bottom