Old Looney signing in. Have just joined the forum.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old Looney

Hi folks, looking for some help please. Have cycled most of my life, for the health benefits and strictly for liesure. My current non electric hybrid bike is a 10 year old Giant. Well maintained, serviced etc, is this is going to my daughter. I am looking to get another and having looked around have decided on one of the following bikes. Not in any prefferential order they are Cube Hyde 2021, Trek FX3 Disc, Giant Rapid 3. I will use to cycle 30 miles, 3 x a week, plus the odd longer weekend ride maybe 65 - 70 miles. Due to a back injury I cant use a racer, and am comfortable with a hybrid bike. I Have a GT full suspension for my off road stuff, so this bike will be roads, canal paths, cycle paths etc, no off roading. I woulkd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Cheers.

Sharky

Guru
Don't discount a drop bar bike for reasons of back problems. Riding on the hoods should give a similar riding position to flats and with drops, you have more positions and variations to choose from.

weareHKR

All three are decent bikes tbh, specification wise they're all pretty much on par.
If it were me I'd probably base my purchase on fit & looks.
There's nothing much in the weight, think the Trek is a little lighter perhaps.
My choice, would be the Cube, a little more cash but good quality & quite sought after in the second hand marked if you decide to sell it on.
Good luck & let us know what you settle for.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Welcome!
As HKR said, there's not that much in it really... they're all good bikes and you can't really go wrong; I'd agree it comes down largely to which one you like best. I've got a Giant hybrid and a Trek hybrid and like them both, although my Trek FX3 is the age of the Giant you're passing on so it's getting on a bit and not that similar to the new ones. My Giant is a 3-4 year old Escape. If I was buying new now, I'd 100% go for the Trek but it's only personal preference, I've really liked their designs (I find the curved top tube on Treks quite appealing and unusual) and especially the colours in the last 2 or 3 years. There's too many grey and black bikes on sale now (including that Cube and that Giant), possibly the two most boring colours for bikes. The metallic red / wine colour of the latest FX3 disc is really nice.

My daughter chose a Trek last year as her first "big" bike over all other makes, and it was mostly because it came in deep pink and purple. These makers churning out stealth bike after stealth bike are missing a trick I reckon.

Top Bottom